B&W Printing and Developing workshops?

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by espressogeek, Oct 18, 2007.

1. espressogeek

espressogeek Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Does anyone teach workshops like this anymore? I would be very interested to attend some.
    Thanks

2. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are usually one or two workshops on traditional silver darkroom techniques each summer at Peters Valley Craft Center. They also have several alternative (non-silver) workshops.

http://www.pvcrafts.org

I think that Project Basho in Philadelphia also teaches workshops on traditional processes.

3. espressogeek

espressogeek Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Thanks , I will check those out now. If anyone knows of any others I would appreciate the heads up. I'd like to do something sooner than later.

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be happy to give free workshops in B&W and Color printing (for the cost of the paper used in either case). I cannot start the Color though until I finish the emulsion work as my equipment is in mothballs.

Unfortunately, everyone around here seems to have worked for Kodak and there are few takers for this offer. Besides, Kodak has the Camera Club with darkrooms and digital equipment for use by empolyees and retirees.

But, the offer is there.

PE

5. espressogeek

espressogeek Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Sounds like a good excuse to go to Rochester! I would love to get together a few folks and take you up on that.

6. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me know.

The offer is on the table for B&W, but color will have to wait as noted above. You bring your own negatives. Bringing exposed film for processing and your own paper is optional. I can get paper and film.

That is a long drive. My courses used to last for 1 week when I taught at the Kodak Camera Club, but that is probably too long for a B&W course.

PE

7. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    PE, Have you ever considered doing a DVD series on emulsion making?

8. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert;

Yes, I have. I've posted quite a bit of information about it in the emulsion making and coating forum. The book is about 120 pages long so far and is undergoing a rewrite. It will probably be in the range of 140 pages or so long. A DVD is in the works to go with it. We may start work on that in January.

Some of the pictures are already posted in individual threads. A slide show is up on youtube.

PE

9. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In Rochester, Photo Engineer?
    -I'll have to bookmark this thread-
    A good printing workshop would be interesting. I would have to wait a while but maybe a group or something one day

Not surprising or anything but I;ve never heard of this kodak camera club
    employees only, eh
    What is the Rochester photography "scene" like? All I know about -and know very little about it- is the community darkroom

Local Area Batavian

10. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodak Camera Club is in the basement of B28 on Ridge Road and is fully equipped for analog photography with rental equipment as well.

The instructors come from the internal workforce of people in the color and B&W analog areas (at least they did), and the membership was $1 / year for employees who elected to join (price unknown nowdays).

They had regular contests in all subjects including stereo. Kodak employees were forbidden to enter outside contests by the rules of the contests themselves "employess of photographic manufacturers are forbidden to enter this contest" as you have seen in rules. So, this was a 'vent' for our creative activities.

There is little activity outside of RIT and Kodak other than George Eastman House which is running a series of seminars in photo preservation and alternate photography under a large grant. RIT does not permit students to process color any longer. "The chemicals are too dangerous." So, therefore, all students must submit their film and paper for processing.

No individual color darkrooms anymore.

PE

11. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Les McLean might have something - he has done these in the past here in the states (and well worth the money). Bruce Barnbaum also does some, there are still quite a few others as well Alan Ross, John Sexton, Howard Bond, and the Formulary just to name a few. Run a Google on B&W workshops, should yield quite a bit.

12. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The thing that concerns me is the lack of color workshops!

PE

13. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check out the classes at the Photographers Formulary. The darkrooms are top notch and they have great instructors. The surroundings are really peaceful and beautiful. Montana is a great place to visit. www.photoformulary.com

14. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you looking for specifically something in Davidson county? MTSU might have something. If you're willing to venture north a bit, WKU has just got to have something.

15. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but are there ever any darkroom workshops in the Vancouver / Victoria area? Or even northern Washington State?

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I was growing up, one of the features of the basement/laundry room/workshop in our house was an 11x14 colour print that my father printed in the Kodak employee darkroom in Toronto (actually "camera Heights") maintained by Canadian Kodak for its employees. It was a photograph of myself, my mother and my brother, and I would guess that it was taken about 1960.

By 1980 or so, it had faded quite a bit, despite the relatively low light levels in the room. That might have had something to do with the fact that it was right by the furnace!

All of us are still around, so it is not a tremendous tragedy that it was probably discarded when my parents sold ther house in the mid 1980s, but I do wish it was still around.

Unfortunately, the Vancouver Kodak lab didn't offer a similar facility, otherwise I expect that my father would have continued enjoying a colour darkroom, and I wouldn't be the only member of the family keeping up the tradition.

Matt

17. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt;

It has to do somehow with your keeping conditions I'm sure. I've got pictures from the 70s that are just fine printed on pretty much the same type of paper. (I used E-70 and your dad probably used E-Plus)

PE

18. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    2 Saturdays a month

Every month I conduct BW darkroom workshops in my darkroom. $125 per person per Saturday; 2people max - besides me.
    All chemistry and paper included.. You also get a light lunch and refreshments.

To sign up please email me, be sure to write
    - in caps - DARKROOM WORKSHOP - in header.

volquartz@volquartz.com

http://www.pervolquartz.com

19. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I can highly recommend the Per Volquartz workshop. I took the workshop on the 6th of this month and I learned so much. Per is very generous with his time. The workshop was to end at 6pm. and we did not finish until 10pm! Per is an excellent teacher and this workshop is worth twice the price. It has elevated my printing to a higher level. I got my questions all answered and if I ever have any in the future Per is there to help.

Jim

20. John Simmons

John Simmons Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bruce Barnbaum, a very well know master printer and artist is still giving workshops teaching traditional black and white darkroom techniques. They are very intense and cover everything and more.

www.barnbaum.com

Regards,
    John

21. mvjim

mvjim Member

Another alternative

MV Photo labs in NYC also holds monthly workshops in B & W printing taught by the owners Jim Megargee and Cornelia vanderLinde. Check the web site www.mvlabs.com for info on dates, etc.