B&W reversal development

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Atari1977, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Atari1977

Atari1977 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So I'm looking into developing movie film, Super 8 and 16mm. Does anyone know how different B&W reversal is from normal B&W negative processing? I do know reversal requires bleach, but does it need different developer and fix than negative?

2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Atari1977

Atari1977 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So would you recommend the D-19 developer or D94a? Also it seems that I'll have to be mixing a couple of the chemicals, any recommendations on where to purchase the base chemicals?

4. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. no need to reinvent the wheel here. follow one of the published methods. ilford has a pdf on the subject as well. formulary, ebay, artcraft all sell chemicals.

5. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    right..check HERE...for recent reversal threads..this year...TONS of information...and troubleshooting procedures...start with the ilford stuff for starters and move on.

As with everyone I strongly suggest using a powerful developer for a first developer with NO hypo in it.

get your process down with regular deveopers before you start experimenting with monobath mixes

6. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Atari1977: I'd suggest using a silver halide solvent instead in the first developer. But that's just me. The name can be misleading since we use the solvent in such a small quantity that it serves the purpose of render all silver developable. I guarantee that it helps clearing the highlights really well. This can't be obtained with a common developer no matter how powerful. I personally use 1g per 35mm 36exp roll.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013