Baby Crown Graphic refit

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Ulrich Drolshagen, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

just wanted to show you my recent refit

I stripped the leather and gave it a new finish

[​IMG]

The lens is a f8/65mm SA the extension of the bellows is for the f5.6/100mm Symmar which I did not have at the time of taking the pictures. I sticked a little tape patch onto the upper window of the rangefinder to increase the contrast. Bellows and groundglas are new. The bellows was quite expensive. I would not have let it made if I did get a correct price information by camerabellows in UK.

[​IMG]

With the Symmar I will be able to use the adjustments. I have extended the front rise about 15mm to 30mm. so that I can use front tilt together with front rise. The image circle of the original raptar would not be sufficient for that.

[​IMG]

I have a 6x6 and a 6x9 Back for the camera. I plan to use it for landscape work an expect the adjustments to be sufficient for that.

cheers

Ulrich

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice, having restored a pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic I can see you've done a superb job.

Ian

3. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Really pretty camera. I have been thinking along the samelines of using a Baby Graphic for my bicyle trips. I didn't know that Graphic cameras had tilts? I thought it was a point and shoot.
    Good job!

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only the pre-Anniversary models have no tilt. But as they don't have swing or revolving backs there's no tilt in Portrait mode.

Ian

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Excellent.

I have just started something similar. I got a 5x4 Speed Graphic yesterday. The rangefinder and focal plane shutter were beyond repair, so they have been removed, and the leather had been painted red.

I am going to remove all of the covering as you have done. It's hard to believe that they covered up that wood and brass with leather and paint!

I have the back almost done now.

Steve.

Attached Files:

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That' pre-Anniversary :D

Your problem is what to do with the speed controls cut-out. I recovered my Pacemaker Speed Graphic withe leatherette, but luckily the shutter on my pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic was restorable.

Ian

7. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    How did you remove the leather from the casing? I might have a winter project for this year! Now only to get a camera?

8. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This was the easy part. I just ripped off most of it with the support of a sharp chisel here and there. The rest and the glue was sanded down.

Ulrich

9. chrisrhoads

chrisrhoads Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    beautiful work

10. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh man... what a sexy slender/petite gal she is in the raw. And she's nimble too. You lucky bast*rd!!