Back to School.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, May 23, 2005.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My camera collection includes many with no metering system.Not really a problem if I use the sunny 16 rule, but I would really like to "dial in" my exposures.Get them bang on.
    I have 3 hand held incident light meters and my questions are as follows: .How can I tell if the meters are accurate?Should I use my FM2 or N60 as a bench mark? Can anyone suggest a simple test so I can pick one meter and shelve the rest?
    Thanks Much,
    Mike (dazed and confused)

2. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd try using your N60 in average mode to compare with the handhelds.
    In order to minimize errors try pointing at thing like walls that are not too far so that the coverage area is about the same.

3. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simplest way to check the accuracy of an incident meter: go outside in sunny conditions, point the meter at the southern horizon, between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM (daylight time), and if it doesn't read pretty close to f/16 and 1/ISO, something is wrong.

4. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having used an N60, I'd try with something you know has worked in the past. I used my work's N60 today and compared it to my handheld meter (a Sekonic of some variety) and it was a good 2 stops different. I know the meter has worked fine for me in the past, so I'll trust it over the N60.