Bad Color negative processing. Help? Picture attached

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by rustyair, May 4, 2012.

1. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I developed 4x5 portra films with a Jobo cpe2, 2521 tank, 2509n reel and Unicolor c-4 kit.

3 days ago, I put 4 4x5 films to a 2509n reel, 300ml and 3 came out fine but one came out bad ( Picture 1) high speed jobo.
    Last night, I put 5 films and 4 came out fine but one came out bad again (picture 2, left bottom corner) Slow speed jobo. so, I'm guessing it must be something I did but can't figure out. I used the stabilizer which came with the c-41 kit but didn't use photo-flo. It could be the reason?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      906.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      461 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  2. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So the bad one (the blue, I presume), how did you arrive at that scan? My guess is that your scanner has incorrectly picked the wrong black-point on the film (i.e. wrong mask colour) and that's causing the nastiness. Have you tried optically printing them using identical filter packs? Or scanning one of the "good" ones, locking down ALL of the scan settings (exposure, black & white points, colour temp, etc) and then scanning the "bad" one?

Or does the neg look wrong, i.e significantly more yellow than the others?

Is it possible you're using insufficient chemistry in your tank, which means that the innermost sheet isn't properly submersed?

You should not photoflo C41 after the stabiliser; the stabiliser contains its own wetting agent and you do not want to wash off the stabiliser with photoflo. Stab needs to dry onto the film.

3. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I scanned with the v700 and I don't have any problems with other films when I scanned them. I think it's something to do with processing or maybe with shooting.

4. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What are the films? Is your bad film in both cases an old expired film?