Bad news from Misrata, Libya

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by 2F/2F, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just told by my friend at AP that two world-renowned photojournalists have been killed covering combat in Libya. Chris Hondros and Tim Hetherington have been killed, and Andre Liohn has been injured. We all know Hondros' pictures from the Iraq War in particular. He took the famous photos, illuminated by rifle lamps, of the one-of-many incidents in which Iraqi civilians in a car were killed at a U.S. checkpoint. Hetherington is a World Press Photo winner and co-director of the film "Restrepo."

This is really sad news to me. I want to take a moment to think of the journalists putting themselves in life-threatening situations so that we have the raw material necessary to be informed.

* Note: Hondros was initially reported dead, but the most current updates say that he is gravely wounded, and there has been no mention of Liohn beyond the initial report.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That is terrible news. Thanks for the letting us know, those men put their hides on the line for a lot of people. I am one who is very thankful for their diligence and sacrifice.

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should point out that this news just came to light and is technically unconfirmed...but the Tweet came directly from Liohn, so it is very likely true.

4. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Based on my RSS reader, about 1pm ET. I could find anything specific on the NYT website.

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just spoke again. Apparently there is some confusion in the journalism world as to Hondros' status, but Hetherington is being widely reported as deceased. More than one in Libya have reported that Hondros passed away, while others have reported that he is in grave condition with a head injury. We'll have to wait till the dust settles to find out.

P.S. Just spoke yet again. She says that nobody is exactly sure about Hondros, except that he is either in very bad shape or dead. And the confirmation was for Hetherington, not Hondros. But she says that those that AP has been able to contact closest to the victims themselves do not sound hopeful for Hondros.

I am going to delete my "Hondros confirmed dead" post above, as that confirmation was actually about Hetherington.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hate to hear about this, my father's coworker's son photogrphotoer was killed in USSR a few years ago

Jeff

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've heard that Hondros died after falling into a coma. This is extraordinarily sad news, I have nothing but admiration for those photographers who put themselves in harm's way to bring such stories to us. Hetherington's book, Infidel is, hands down, one of the best books on the way soldiers live and how war affects lives in such a personal way. It's a very important book, and the accompanying documentary film, Restrepo earned an Oscar nomination, though I haven't seen it yet myself. I find the book, (Infidel), to be one of the most beautifully designed and presented books, and is an incredible work of journalism that is moving and personal. My condolences to his friends and family.

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, unfortunately I just heard that the worst has occurred, and according to the freshest article at the New York Times, it is confirmed. Hondros did not live long after sustaining major brain tissue loss during the attack. He survived in a coma for a few hours despite this, hence the initial confusion. Condolences to his family, friends, and co-workers, who as far as I can tell greatly admired and respected him.

At least there is some positive news; the two other journalists with them, Guy Martin and Christopher Brown, survived.

It turns out that Liohn was not injured, as initially reported, but reported the story from the triage center.

12. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Terrible news. I'm grateful for the work they've done. May they rest in peace. May their wounded colleagues pull through.

-Laura

14. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It cannot be overstated what a loss this is, to the photojournalism community and for everyone who would see their work. Chris was a remarkable man, a compassionate and skilled photographer who had a deep desire to go where the pictures were and bring them back to those who could not. He had an enormous network of friends, I am proud to count myself among them from our time together in graduate school. Chris, we all miss you so much, already.

From a postcard, 1996. He's in North Carolina, ready to take on the world with an F3:[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
  15. maarten m

maarten m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  16. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format