Bag for Hasselblad?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by olwick, Sep 5, 2010.

1. olwick

olwick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I'm curious what you Hasselblad users are using for a bag. I'm looking for something light that doesn't scream "steal me I'm a camera bag".

I'm looking for one that can hold a Hassy 500 with an 80mm lens, plus two rangefinder cameras.

Most of the listings I see are advertising how they hold a DSLR and a 70-200 vertically. I'd be leary of carrying a Hassy vertically for some reason. Can anyone share their experiences?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use various bags, depending on what i carry.
    But all cry out "i'm a camera bag". Not so attractive to thieves nowadays as they used to be.

But that's not what i wanted to contribute. All i wanted to say is that whatever bag, i always carry the Hasselblads vertically (smallest 'foot print' that way), both lens first and back first. Not a problem.

3. JimCouch

JimCouch Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Mark,

I use my Domke F-2 believe it or not. Depending on the lens you can fit the Hasselblad horizantal or vertical. I started using the bag because it is what I had, and it actually works pretty well as long as you don't carry to much. I usually carry the Hassy with a back and an 80mm mounted along with an extra lens and a couple of backs. If you carry the backs in the side pockets there is enough room for the Hassy w/80 and two other lenses.

BTW, I have had no issue with carrying the body either vertically or horizontally.

Jim

4. AgentX

AgentX Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a variety of bags.
    Lowepro Pro Trekker AW 300- for going on big trips where i need a full kit (50, 80, 150, 250 or a 135 macro & auto bellows) - also holds a raincoat, hydration bladder, water bottle and a Nikon F5 & 35mm lens, full set of grad filters, lee holders, tonnes of film and a laptop.

Lowepro Nova 4 (old shoulder bag) - Will happily hold a camera with 80mm and a 50mm or 150mm lens plus two backs, film etc

Pelican 1530 case - for storage. (bright orange identifies the Hasselblad kit)

I also just bought a Thinktank Streetwalker backpack for city work. Will hold a small kit (my old Lowepro shoulder bag is on its last legs)

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Tamrac 750. A 752 is even larger. The 750 is a top loading backpack that puts the weight on to the hips. I carry a 503 CX, a 903 SWC, four lenses [50mm, 80mm, 150mm, and 250mm], a 2x extender, four close up rings and four A12 backs in the 750.

Steve

7. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag usually, which holds a lot of gear. Sometimes I just use a Domke F6B when I'm carrying less. In both cases, I like the bags because the lack of padding means you can stuff more in.

I load the Hasselblads vertically and have never had a problem.

-Laura

8. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Crumpler bag - well padded and not obviously a camera bag (although you might well guess there was a camera in there...) The Blad sits in the middle compartment vertically.

Ian

9. olwick

olwick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. Good to hear that carrying it vertically won't cause problems.

Mark

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever you carry it in as soon as you get it out people will see what you have.

11. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Domke F2 is near-perfect for a Bronica SQ-B kit and an extra lens, back, hood light meter, film plus a Nikon F3HP or FE. Get the tougher, water-repellant ballistic nylon version+the Domke shoulder strap pad. A very low-key bag that's reasonably stealthy.

12. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah yes! Stealth.
    Don't look at the LowePro Stealth Reporter series. They are anything but stealthy. :wink:

I have a bunch of those, and the Reporter 400 is ideal for a small to medium sized HB kit.
    But being shoulder bags, not so good to carry for a longer time.

13. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Domke F2 and I really love it. It is built extremely well and with the portability of the inserts, you can fit anything. I could fit a 16mm camera in it with some film. It's great.

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I forgot to say: it looks like a backpack and not a camera bag.

15. Paul Green

Paul Green Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a lowepro mini trekker back pack for long walks, but it's not the easiest of bags to access whilst you’re stood up. So recently I purchased a lowepro stealth reporter 650 on fleabay, it’s a lot bigger than I expected, but it’s nice to be able to access my gear through the top whilst I’m carrying it.

16. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Medium sized Billingham bag (forgot which number) for 503 CX with non metering prism vertically with either the 80 mm or the 150 mm (in that case, the bag can be expanded topwards) mounted, the other lens in one of the front pockets, 40 mm, 16 mm extension tube, 2 A12 film backs, Sekonic spot meter some filters and film enough for one outing. This gives the bag a rotund appearance and a heft that can be managed with the excellent shoulder pad.
    And if someone tries to steal it, I'll whup it into their face.

17. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Diaper bags, made to look like fashion accessories containing wallets, iPhones, digicams...

19. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Think "Think Tank" There are several sizes Urban Disguise. I have the largest Urban 70 which I carry a Bronica 645 with motor drive, 3 lenses, 2 meters, three magazines, Vivitar flash, film and many more stuff.

Good luck.

20. greybeard

greybeard Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Consider a canvas or nylon tool bag, the kind with the top zipper and pockets around the outside. If you stuff a couple of pairs of gym socks, a deodorant and some shampoo/conditioner into the outside pockets, it does a passable job of emulating someone's workout kit. Smelly gym clothes are known to have a relatively low street value as stolen merchandise...

21. olwick

olwick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I ended up buying a Rollei 6008 Integral 2 instead, but all of your bag advice still applies.

I'm leaning towards the Domke F2. I have a smaller model right now and have had it for years.

Mark