Bag in Box chemistry storage

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by cmo, Feb 27, 2010.

1. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    A few days ago I heard from some friends that they store all their stock solutions (Xtol and other developers, too) in bag-in-box containers that they purchased from a supplier of wine cellars and apple juice producers. Their report was quite simple: it works very well, chemistry lasts very long and using it is simple. As a nice bonus, prices are ridiculous, a bag and box for 5 liters costs around 2 Euros (2.70 USD). I know these bag-in-box containers from my odorless fixer, Amaloco X89, but never thought about getting such containers for my Xtol.

Is that a popular way of storing chemistry in your photo labs?

2. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If I could get those in the US, I'd be all over that.

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    US Plastics has them. I don't know the prices, though.

4. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Porters Camera sells them in 1Qt. and 1Gal. sizes. I think the prices are a tad high, but if that's what you want and have the budget... Of course, you can always buy the boxes of wine, have fun emptying them, and reuse.

Rick

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sprint chemistry is sold that way from the manufacturer,
    if you get more than the 1L size.

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak used to supply chemistry this way for the average user and it was quite convenient. The bag came totally sealed and was punctured by a sharply pointed spigot that was packed with it. There were some minor problems. Once opened, the keeping was not as good as a totally sealed bag, you could not totally empty the bag without some effort, and some of the spigots dripped slowly so you had to place a pan or something below them to catch the drip, and the drip sometimes was delayed starting so you never knew when or if it would begin to happen. I used to use a tray under each one just in case.

The bags were also sold empty OTC but were discontinued about 20 years ago, probably to the above problems. They did not have a good reputation. I have some here that are in storage. I no longer use them.

However, over 20 years, the technology has probably improved enough to eliminate these minor problems. If so, I think it is a fine method.

PE

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used some of these years ago. On the plus side, I think they are better than accordion bottles, however, not that easy to clean or load. Still, you don't do that all that often.

I now have changes to storing developer in a bunch of small amber glass bottles, filled to the brim, and used one shot. Easy to fill, easy to rinse after use, and easy to tell how much you still have.

Funny, started with glass, then evolved to plastic that could be squeezed to limit air,then accordion bottles to squeeze air out, then bags in boxes that collapse as air removed, now,back to glass via small glass bottles with no air in them.

I am glad I skipped the marbles in the bottle after recently reading here about how hard it is to get the marbles out of the bottle. I suppose using a large mouth bottle it would be OK, but a lot of extra maintenance cleaning marbles.

I just (yesterday) got myself set up with a Nitrogen tank and regulator. Have to get a hose and nozzle yet. My wife will also use it for her paints. She will probably use it more than me. This will server, for me, when the small bottles are not usable, as I anticipate color chemicals will require a different method of mix and use.

10. JohnRB

JohnRB Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I do this with my Xtol. Though I have to force myself to drink 5 l of wine first! However, once I've sobered up, I rinse the bag out and then I'm ready to fill with developer. Of course I must remember which boxes contain which liquid!

John

11. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ones with the bag made from aluminized Mylar are about as impermeable as glass.

12. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the box wines taste like developer (or at least stop bath), so you do need to label. But some (try Fish Eye) aren't too bad.

13. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting, you tasted developer and stop bath? YUK!:sad:

14. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    They are also called "cubitainers". I have a couple 20 L ones that I use for mixing 5 L of XTOL as I don't have any containers that big.

15. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I subject my self to boxed wine, so I have lots of leftovers for developer. It keeps very well in them. Years, IME, because there is no air contact if you squeeze out the air after filling. Nice and compact and built-in spout too. You can't pour back in for replenishing, so I only use them for paper developer now.

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can fill them, but not pour back? Could you explain on that.

17. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is just slightly more to buy them pre-filled with a different liquid, boxed wine.

Drink the wine wash out the bag and re-use, works great.

18. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You have to take the inner bag out of the cardboard box, tip them up, yank the spout out, and pour the liquid in without spilling anything, and then squeeze the air back out. It's not terribly difficult but it's too inconvenient to do this every time you develop. It's better to use a bottle or something. It's fine for chemicals that you just fill it up and then use all up.

19. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use bag in a box for Xtol. Works like a charm and I've said so often right here. I get mine for free from a friend who drinks wine in a box.

ps: GOOGLE water storage bladders in the US. 1 gallon size in the range of $5. The spigot is easily removed and replaced for refilling.

20. imokruok

imokruok Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The wine industry is great at providing us technology for preservation. I use this stuff: http://is.gd/9AdVG. It's a spray mix of nitrogen, CO2, and argon.

21. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a 1 gal. cubitaner for stock acetic acid and a 5 gal. for distilled water. Developer and fixer are stored in 1 gal. brown glass bottles.