Bag options?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by kawasakiguy37, Jan 30, 2011.

1. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Im looking to pickup a bag for my lighting equipment but I need something very long. My tallest stand is 4' 5" all folded, and I have yet to find many bags that can accomodate this. Ideally Id go for something like the lowel Rifa but it is just a bit too short. I want something padded for sure.

Would I be better off going to a sporting goods store? I feel like I could find some large duffles that just might work. I will want the bag to hold 1-2 monolights + extension cords, 2 stands (one long and the other about 3 and a half feet) along with some misc accesories. Beauty dish I can hold in another hand

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about army surplus?

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/

Have a couple of bags from here that I find cheap and sturdy. The best of all, it doesn't look like there's photo gear inside :wink:

3. Andrew A.

Andrew A. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  5. Revolucion Artistico

Revolucion Artistico Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The army surplus bags are not padded, but they're cheap enough that you could buy a couple of them and the material to pad them for less then the cost of a single bag of a lot of the different brands.

6. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yea I think Im going to do an army surplus bag for the stands, poles, grips, etc, and then maybe some type of separate padded thing for the monolights and breakables

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used the larger tool bags (like from Sears or Home Depot) for a monolight. Found an appropriately sized cardboard box to fit inside the bag, then lined the box with a sheet of bubble wrap. Not an arrangement I'd want to use for everyday use, but worked well for occasional use. But the bag only fits one monolight (it was an older White Lightning Ultra) with reflector and cords. The one I like best is: http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Brand-06004-GateMouth/dp/B00002243C But I think it can be found for less.

8. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. garry15

garry15 Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
  10. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Your sporting goods store may well have something that will fit your needs. Look for a bag for short skis or snowboards. There was one that used two molded plastic parts that telescoped one into the other for fitting different length skis or snowboards, and it was very durable and protective. There is a larger one that works with golf clubs. The baggage handlers are accustomed to working with this kind of bag. I also put antennas in mine for luggage transport.