Ball head recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by mporter012, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mporter012

mporter012 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just won a gitzo g1228 on ebay. Got a great deal on it. I need to pick up a ball head now, and need some recommendations.

I shoot landscapes and use a 35mm and hopefully soon, a medium format 6x6.

Thanks!

2. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use a Really Right Stuff BH-40 with my Bronica 6 x 4.5. I'm very happy with it.

3. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an Arca Swiss Monoball Z1 DP with the panning head ABOVE the ball - allowing you to keep the camera perfectly level even if you need to rotate the camera to adjust your composition. Also very useful for panoramic stitching. The DP essentially acts like a 'leveling' tripod... I'd be lost without it :smile:

4. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Gitzo makes good ball heads. I use the 1277M with a Pentax 67 and a Rolleiflex. No problem with holding power. I have even used it for 4x5, though you are better off with a tilt head for 4x5.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am happy with my new Manfrotto 054 Magnesium Ball head: http://www.manfrotto.com/054-magnesium-ball-head-with-q2-quick-release

It works well with my RB67 and my smaller cameras too.

It has some interesting design features - like levers and other controls that are each of different shape and position, so you can tell by feel which one you have contact with.

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You get what you pay for, and the China crap is, well, anyway, Arca Swiss, RRS are worth the cost.

7. peter_n

peter_n Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a Gitzo 1228 for years and loved it. You need a medium sized ballhead for that tripod. I use an Arca-Swiss Z1 on a Gitzo 3-series systematic and it's wonderful but too big for the 1228. Markins make a range of A-S copies and their Q10 is perfect for it. Markins heads are well designed and engineered and beautifully finished. You might also want to look at the Acratech Ultimate, Arca-Swiss P0, and RRS BH-40, all great heads.

8. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Benro B3

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_B3

I use it on my Mannfrotto 055 and it supports my Sinar Norma 5X7".
    It might not be up to the most strict tolerances and will "set" a tiny bit when tightening the knop. Untill now that hasn't been an issue for me.
    Best regards

9. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  10. rbender

rbender Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1 RRS Excellant piece of equipment.

11. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kirk BH3.....works great for me for medium format and 4x5.

12. Ari

Ari Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    FLM makes several sizes of ball heads in the FT series, handling loads from 20kg to 60kg while maintaining a small profile and low weight.
    What makes the FT series unique is the tilt lock, which will render the ball head capable of 2D-only movement, front to back, and at any angle you choose to set.
    It also features a very interesting friction memory lock function and dampened panning.

I will be uploading a video tomorrow on the FLM Canada website explaining some of the unique features of the FT-series heads.

13. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought the biggest, sturdiest ballhead in Cullmann's lineup a few years back, but the main lock knob is starting to strip (won't tighten all the way). I haven't tried to get it serviced; when it finally goes, I'll probably get an Acratech Ultimate. The offerings from RRS are extremely tempting though.

I like Thom Hogan's Tripod 101 article.

14. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Had the ball heads and they were OK, I now have the geared ones.......I figure if I am getting serious enough to break out the tripod for the shot, why not dial in EXACTLY how I want my camera to take the shot. I could get it close with the ball but was alway messing with it to get it truly into position.......now it's just a matter of slowly moving the dials and admire the control I have.

Something to think about......I think I spent slightly more than a good ball head for the little sized gear head I got. It has been one of those, why the hell haven't I done this about 10 years ago things.

Bob E.

15. peter_n

peter_n Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I replaced a Markins head with an Acratech Ultimate in January. The Markins was binding and eventually locked up in cold weather and that's not good. The open design of the Acratech looks like a good extreme environment alternative to the traditional ballhead designs, and so far it's worked well. It looks like a piece of surveying equipment but the build quality is excellent.