Barcelona

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by henrysamson, Dec 22, 2010.

1. henrysamson

henrysamson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm going to be visiting Barcelona next month. Any galleries or shows I should check out? I'm an avid analog photographer, mostly large format.

Thanks in advance!

Henry

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Have a good time. Keep a good hold on your equipment. If you will be there for a while, apply for a tripod permit at the Gaudy house.

I hear there's a cool church there too. :wink:

4. henrysamson

henrysamson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what I will be taking. Maybe a 35mm camera with a couple of lenses. I travel a lot with 5x7 or 8x10 but I think I just want to travel with only a small backpack on this trip.

5. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Henry- if you're only taking 35mm, the sky's the limit as to what and where you can shoot. Barcelona is a photographer's delight, just be aware that in the Barri Gotic (the area around the old Cathedral) the streets are extremely narrow and the contrast will be very high, as the shadows cast by the buildings can be pretty deep. Barcelona is very safe in general, even Las Ramblas (just be reasonably cautious and you'll be fine).

6. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The thing that best separates Barcelona from any number of other Mediterranean cities is the architecture of Gaudi. There are a number of sites ( which your guidebook will cover) though IMO the best photographically is Casa Mila (aka La Pedrera) in the centre of the city. In good light the photograohy of and from the roof near sunset is outstanding.

One other thing. The incidence of pickpocketing and other petty theft in Barcelona appears to be high. Look after your things and be aware of the possibility that someone could unzip a backpack without your knowledge.

7. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like the Joan Miró museum (Fundacio Joan Miró), from memory, it was a nice walk up the hill to get there with good views at the top.

8. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can take the funicular railway up to the Miro museum, and then from there on up to the fort at the top. The views from the fort are amazing, and there's plenty of neat architecture on the fort itself to photograph, including the big late 19th/early 20th century naval guns mounted on the top of the hill. The city has turned the grounds around the fort into a public park, including an archery range. Another neat place to visit is the maritime museum at the bottom end of Las Ramblas - they have a complete full-scale reconstruction of a 16th century Spanish royal battle barge inside. Oh, and if you have the chance, go to Casa Amattler - check with the front desk when they're doing tours, as they may not be fully open again yet. Come back on a day when they are doing tours so you can see Sr. Amattler's photo studio - it's a complete Victorian photography salon. And don't forget to sample the chocolates! They make a perfect gift to bring home and the taste is AMAZING. Some of the best chocolate I've ever had. If you like sparkling wine, look for some Juve Y Camps Brut Nature Gran Reserva de la Familia - better than Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label at half the price (get it at duty-free in the airport - the price is reasonable and you won't have the hassle of trying to get it through security).

9. airgunr

airgunr Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Keep hold of your equipment. My wife and I got pickpocked. We were walking along a pretty nice street with apartments. I felt something on my shoulder. Looked like a bird had pooped on me. When I looked up a guy walking towards us kind of looked in our direction and seemed to see my predicament and offered his bottle of water and a kleenx. He then motioned for us to go into his apartment building. In the foyer we noticed some splater on my wifes hair. He helped us wipe it off as well. Just then a guy came down the stairs and went out the front door. After a moment our guy left. We headed back out and contiued on our way. A little later I noticed my wallet gone.

The scam is. The first guy on the street looks for someone like us with camera bag, map, etc. walking down the street. The other guy breaks into an unused apartment and has a cup with baby food and water mix. When the first guy calls him he waits and drops it on the mark from the balcony or window. You can guess the rest. I should be happy I didn't catch him in the act as we would have been in a secluded place fighting him and his friend with just me and the wife. Not a good senario.

Watch yourself. Most of the theifs are from south america, places like columbia. The regualr spaniards hate them as they give the country a bad name. We had locals who would admonish us to hold onto our bags and purse much better.

For all that the local people were very nice and helpful. Great country, just keep aware of your surroundings and don't set you stuff down or leave it loose on your shoulder.

10. david James lee

david James lee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "places like columbia"
    What an unfortunate comment, and it is Colombia, not columbia.
    ( I am an Spanish citizen, by the way )

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  11. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a great place Antonio Gaudi. Definitely see Sagrada Família and Parc Guell. You lucky guy.

12. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All the bases covered so far.
    Gaudi, Check
    Watching out for pickpockets: Check

Street photography also good Las Ramblas is excellent for it, plenty of interesting side streets, also very nice around the Ronda del Litoral for doing coastal shots.
    Note Las Ramblas turns into a bit of a red light area late at night, so keep it (your film of course) in your pocket

Eats, plenty of Tapas bars about. Good value, pick and mix.

A well worth visit

13. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, thinking of Las Ramblas, as a general rule avoid the restaurants there. They're quite pedestrian and touristy and serve mediocre food at relatively high prices. Do take a wander through the Mercado San Jose though- LOTS of sights and potential for photography, as well as delights for the taste buds.

14. henrysamson

henrysamson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks again for all the info! I'm leaving in a few days so if anyone has anything else to mention, just let me know!

Henry

15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might bump into you literally, we are in Barcelona for 3 days next week :D

Ian