Bargain ?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by dances_w_clouds, Sep 25, 2011.

1. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it's a bargain, but only if you can use it. The local camera store here in Memphis has one for sale for $119.00 and that is I only with a 50/1,8.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dennis:

That ad has been up in craigslist in several similar forms for quite a while.

Do you really need another camera system :smile:?

If you search here on APUG, I think you will learn that some of the Rollei 35mm cameras have some reliability issues.

4. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've given up on CL after having walked on a half dozen photo items that were busted/ semi-functioning or misrepresented. Sellers were sharks, stupid, or wildly optimistic about their items' condition. Never again.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've done really well with Vancouver CL - my Omega D6 with Ilford Multigrade head and a raft of older top quality lenses and negative holders being the best examples.

Not to mention Canon EOS film bodies and Rotatrim cutters at ridiculously low prices.

There is a Rollei medium format projector with lens and a bunch of trays currently on Vancouver Craigslist for $100. It is illustrated with the classic blurry CL photo.

6. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is definitely an issue that I have contemplated a few times but IF it was a worthy set-up the $125 might have been a steal. :whistling:

Thanks for the input everyone. :D

Yes I have also purchased 75% of my gear through Craigslist. In Vancouver there is a big turnover of touristy types that let equipment go for chump change... (Premium Canon AE 1 WITH winder for $40) And APUG members who give good deals just for being good people. :laugh: :D :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  7. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Rolleiflex SL35-E, while a sweet camera to use, does often have electronic issues. You should really get some kind of guarantee that it's working.
    If now working, chances are it'll keep working for quite a while.

The SL35, not having any electronics, is generally more reliable. That said, I don't really like it. Think a Spotmatic semi-clone but without the "feel" of the Spotmatic.
    I also don't like it's viewfinder (the SL35-E one's very good instead).

The main problem with that deal, however, are the lenses: the main reason to put up with the quirks of the Rolleiflex 35mm SLRs is for their Zeiss lenses.
    Some of the other "original" lenses made for them (mostly Mamiya-built) are also quite good.
    The lenses offered in the "deal" seem to be mainly junk: unless you want to hunt down the various Zeiss and other better lenses for those cameras (not an easy thing in the New World), I'd give it a pass...

P.S. My SL35-E is my light-weight/travel SLR system and some of its lenses are my absolute favorites. The 35 & 85mm f/2.8 Zeiss lenses are tiny and excellent, some of the other lenses have some of the best "3-D look" I've seen.
    When weight is no issue, I use Leicaflex & Leica R, though I still often prefer the Zeiss look...

P.P.S. A useful accessory for the Rolleis is the M42 adapter, which effectively turns them into the best M42 cameras in the world (at least in the sense of having a bayonet mount). Auto-aperture stop-down function is maintained.

8. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe sellers in Van are paragons of virtue 'cause they sure aren't in Toronto. I just don't have the time and stomach for that kind of dealing. I keep an eye out but haven't seen much recently I'd bother with.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funnily enough, the person I bought my D6 from had moved it here a couple of years previously - from Toronto :D!

I certainly see some "problematic" listings on CL Vancouver, and I approach everything quite cautiously, but there is usually enough activity there that it is worthwhile checking.

It helps a lot that is a fairly busy site - it is mid-afternoon here on a rainy Monday late in September, and there has already been more than 200 listings posted today in the "photo/video" forum. On a busy day, it is not unusual to see 400+ postings, and a good percentage of them are first time postings.

10. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Friends get stunning deals. I love the hunt but just don't have time to arrange meet-ups and do a long drive at odd times only to find the advertised "mint" light and background stands looking recently salvaged from the bottom of Lake Ontario. That was my last experience a few months back.