Barry Goldwater Statue

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I was watching something on news last weekend regarding Barry Goldwater. Later they created a bronze stature commerating his life towards carreer in the US Government. I noticed on the statue that he has a Rolleiflex camera strund on his shoulder. I did some research and found that he was a accomplished amatuer photographer. His go to camera was the Rollei. He must had this camera with him all the time to have incorperated in the statue concept. how cool.

ToddB

2. kenklark

kenklark Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Check out "People and Places" I like his Navajo pictures. He was a good shooter.

3. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know it is semantics, but a professor I had in 1986 beat it in our heads not to utter the word shoot. (not deriding above poster)
    Anyway, it is a state of mind, that Salgado and others will confirm. I guess semantically "shooter" get's in my craw and this was before Sandy Hook.
    I was interviewed a couple times in the past decade, and I hate reading "vincent shoots" ..." uses a ____ to shoot" "shoot film" etc.
    I do shoot a 12 ga shotgun for target... that is a different mindset.

Cheers, no deriding and say what is comfortable to you.
    BTW this professor also said "motor drives not permitted" It was 1986, I was a student and working photographer and he would not allow my motorized cameras in the classroom... and he was dead serious.

THanks for the Goldwater mention... off to look at his photographs (not shots) now.

Oh and the rest of the story, I photographed Goldwater in 1986... too young to know who he was, same for Noam Chomsky... wish I had a time machine.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like his pictures!

Jeff

6. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

I am tinking you don't like snapshots either!

7. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... or "tog"

8. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think he was a ham.

I'm not positive of this, but I think Goldwater was also a ham radio operator. Ric.

9. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess we (me) should not worry too much about how we are talked about, but that we are at all.

I looked around at some of the Goldwater images.

I saw some technical aptitude, I did find the compositions for the most-part underwhelming to my tastes.
    There was a photo of an old Indian woman, some rocks, and a branch... I wanted to take the view and rearrange, felt almost there but not quite.

Now on the other hand the photos of "Undiscovered Vivian" seem so spot on, like those of Eisenstadt, and Carier-Bresson.

Again, OP thanks for the diversion.

10. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yep... (and I asked for it) (sorry I sidetracked the thread.. sort of)
    I don't care for verbal shorthand.

11. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He was, during the Vietnam conflict he and other ham operators used their sets to allow for GIs to talk with their families, I think it was part of a program called MARS which is still active but no longer involved as much with providing communications with folks overseas and stateside family. No SKYPE or internet, landline calls were almost impossible to get through.

12. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I like to listen to the "Political Junkie" radio show on NPR every Wednesday. The introduction to the show features a bunch of famous & infamous statements, like "you won't have Nixon to kick around any more," and Howard Dean's scream. Barry Goldwater's contribution is "extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice." I hear it every week and find it chilling every time.

13. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Of all the people who SHOULD have won elections, that name is above all. That's all I better say here. Surely a crying shame.