Barry Thornton

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by lee, Oct 27, 2003.

1. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It is reported on the pure-silver list and on his web site that Barry Thornton has passed away in his hotel room on Sat the 25th after a workshop. His shop is now closed.

lee\c

2. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

3. Annie

Annie Member

4. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    [quote="dnmilikan"Does anyone know his age?

Not off hand but I may be able to make a guestimate from one of his books. Whatever individuals' opinions of Barry were (and I do not hold any because I never met or spoke to him although I have bought chemicals from him and bought his books ) he did try to make people who were interested enough to read his books, think about their photography and the materials they were using so that they could get the results they wanted and the photographs they had visualised. Les also does this in his own style which is different to Barry Thornton's approach. We are all influenced to some degree by the knowledge and experience of others when it is imparted to us and Barry will be missed, not least by those who have attended his popular workshops.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A round of DiXactol for the house!

6. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I consider his "Edge of Darkness" to be one of the better photo books - i've read it twice. Only in his 50's, quite a loss for the photographic community, as well as to his family.

7. chrisl

chrisl Member

That really is too bad. I too enjoyed some of his writings. My thoughts as well to the family.

Chris

8. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I know his books helped me sort out a lot of things and DiXactol is a standing favorite (pending Pyrocat trials) - I will miss him.

9. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Although i tend to avoid concentrating too much on a particular photographer's styles and teachings for fear of becoming a clone, I find myself repeatedly returning to Barry Thornton's books and other writings - because they are so good. He was willing to help with questions and never too precious to reply to emails.

David, can you make mine an exactol lux? I've got work in the morning :wink:

10. garryl

garryl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In case no one has been to the website, there is a posted notice that the shop WILL re-open following the settlement of some legal problems from Barry not leaving a will. GOOD News

11. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info-BT came up with some good stuff and I was really looking forward to trying more of it.I too found his books inspiring-Elements and Edge of Darkness should be on the shelves of every serious b&w photographer-I think that they'll become sought after classics .