Barter Pentax 67 to Mamiya 67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by marciofs, Mar 17, 2014.

1. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So I will take my Pentax 67 to the guy in a shop have a look and see if he accept it to give me a Mamiya 67.

My only doubt is if it is recomended to use Mamiya 67 for landscapes, if it is though as Pentax 67. Because I cycle a lot with my camera on my back and I use it very often in the field. And as I can see Mamiya 67 is a Studio camera isn't it?

But I wan't use it for portrait too.

2. Charles Wass

Charles Wass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems that you plan to use the camera handheld. I occasionally used the RB67 handheld in the past and nowadays sometimes use the RZ67 likewise, but neither is well suited to such use. They work best with the L grip.

3. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why? The Pentax 67 is just as good as the Mamiya neither is lightweight. The Pentax 67 was used by many famous fashion and portrait photographers (so was the Mamiya) and the lenses for the Mamiya are usually a bit more expensive. The only drawback of the Pentax is the Sync speed and maybe the lack of interchangeable backs. For landscape work it's a wash the Pentax is probably less fragile because it's more or less one solid Body whereas the Mamiya has the backs, etc...

4. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The draw of the RB67 for me when I wanted to get into MF photography was the interchangeable backs. I wanted a 6X7 negative, and the RB delivered in price.

If you are going to be cycling around with it a lot, you might not want to add bulk. I love the interchangeable (and rotating) back on the RB. If I were going for weight, I wouldn't want the temptation of taking 3-4 backs with me! Throw in that extra lens, and a tripod, and heck I might need the prism finder too. all of a sudden your pack is as heavy as a bag of bowling balls.

5. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my RB67. I also use to cycle a bit competitively years ago. With saying these things I do not see RB67 & cycling in the same sentence, ever.

6. ggervais

ggervais Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stay with the Pentax.

7. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At firts, when I saw the Mamiya in the shop I thought it would be a great idea to switch but I kind of got convinced that it is better keep the pentax. Thank you for all the words and advices.

I will save money and probably sell my Bronica 6x4.5 which I use for studio, and replace it for a Mamiya 67. So then I can have it for the studio shots and Pentax for my landscapes and travel.

Bronica is good but I believe Mamiya is the next level.

8. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you cycle with the Pentax why should Mamiya be any different? (Weight wise)

Sent from Tap-a-talk

9. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If Pentax is Level 1 and Mamiya is Level 2
    Hasselblad is level 3

Get a Hasselblad.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  10. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Handle the Mamiya preferably with the left hand grip attached before you buy/trade.

A very good friend of mine owns the Pentax with wooden grip and I used to own an RZ67 with the left hand grip. I don't like the Pentax. I don't like the way it feels in my hands. I don't like how it doesn't have interchangeable/revolving backs. I liked my waist level finder. My friend on the other hand loves his Pentax and absolutely hated my RZ.

In reality both are fine cameras but neither is everyone.

11. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mamiya doesn't look like as solid and strong as pentax... Just my impression.

I don't know pentax level... I was talking about bronica's level compared to Mamiya.

12. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The RZ is a great system, but may not be as enjoyable to use as your Pentax for what you describe. I had both and in my opinion the Pentax 67 is a more enjoyable field camera than the RZ unless you plan to take landscapes on a tripod. Both have great glass and the Pentax has AE prisms and waist-level finders in the system.

13. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ignore the hype re: Hasselblad. Had that system too. It's nice, but can be very expensive; on the other hand, the Pentax is very economical and has a better range of lenses. Check out the 100mm Macro with 1:1 lifesize element!

14. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pffft...snob. And yes, I have both the "Level 2" and 3 cameras you refer to.

15. mtjade2007

mtjade2007 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In addition, the 6x7 format is so much more than 6x6. Realistically 6x6 is more like 6x4.5. I had many 6x6 cameras. Once I got my Pentax 67-ii I stopped using all my 6x6 cameras.

16. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I take landscapes shots with tripod.
    I gave up the idea. I will keep my Pentax which I like a lot and I will look for a Mamiya for my studio shots, or maybe a portrait lens for my pentax and view finder so I can use for portraits in studio instead of spend more money on an other camera.

But when I saw the mamiya in the shop I couldn't resist on thinking about get it to have a 6x7 format for my portrait shots. At the moment I use Bronica 6x4.5 for portrait in studio.

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The rotating back makes the RB67 a wonderful portrait and studio camera.

And if you like 6x4.5, you can always get a 6x4.5 back for it - just be sure to get or make the corresponding viewfinder mask.

I use my 6x4.5 back(s) when I want to shoot slides for projection.