Battery Bargain ??

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by dances_w_clouds, May 14, 2012.

1. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought I had a very good deal on batteries for my Canon & Mamiya cameras until I expected them to ship them to my address. Good thing I rechecked the order before confirming it. Bit much for regular mail don't you think ???

View attachment 51003

:laugh: :whistling: :blink: Maybe the $20 price I was paying here for 1 battery is actually a good deal

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  2. donkee

donkee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been seeing a lot of that lately. Great price till you see the rip off for shipping.

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    how long do they last?

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They last a while. I'm not sure as long as Duracells. I put them in my RZ during my day long winter hike. But they're so cheap just carry spares in your camera bag. I used to pay $6 for my Duracells these are a way better deal.

6. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There was an Amazon dealer a while ago who had Tri-X 36 exposure for $1.50 a roll - shipping was $5.25 a roll within the USA. I might need to order some of those batteries for my RZ.

7. leicarfcam

leicarfcam Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A lot of this shipping overcharge is being done by sellers through Amazon.

If you purchased through them you need to contact their fraud dept..

8. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been paying about $9 each for mine,one for the RZ and one for the light meter.Nice find!

9. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When looking for this particular battery I found better deals when looking for a non-photo use where it was half the price for an identical battery. As soon has Photo was added to the package it was worth more? I can order 5 and get a free key chain light delivered here for less than $35. As long as that damn Energizer bunny doesn't get in my way I should be happy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. mark

mark Member

I understand some extra to ship accross borders because you do have to spend some extra time filling in forms. BUT, what a lot of places charge is close to criminal. In 02 it cost less to ship my Hartblei from Ukraine to the states, than it did to ship something to me in Vancouver from the states when we were on vacation.

12. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a fact. How could it cost $106 to put 4 batteries in an envelope and send them regular mail ? And it wasn't a temporary flaw with the billing soft ware because I tried with only 1 battery and the price for S&H was over $100. Do people actually see what their computers are trying to charge people ? Not likely.

And thanks MATTKING for the tip but I found some of the bargain batteries won't last until lunch time and the Duracell or Energizer will last for months with full useage

13. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can list eBay auctions showing item price and shipping cost, and you can order the results by their sum, ascending order. This way you will filter out the scammers.

In case you push the "I accept" button once too much, you can always not pay and immediately write a negative comment on the scammer exposing his dubious commercial practices. You can actually make a new username for this activity. The scanner will have to make a new username as well.

14. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anytime I go shopping online, I don't place my order until I know exactly how much I'm paying. Some Ebayer sellers are pretty honest. I've gotten refunds because the shipping is actually less that calculated on the site. There shouldn't be markup on shipping.

15. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just remember that shipping Lithium(Li-Ion,Li-Po) batteries via USPS is NO LONGER ALLOWED. You have to use UPS/FEDEX/DHL now, or another carrier that allows shipment of Li-Ion batteries in packages.

sad, but true :sad:

-Dan

16. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't checked my local store recently, but here in the US, Ace Hardware lists a Duracell 28L and a Duracell 28A online. The A (Alkaline) version highlights "Medical" but admits to photo uses also. It shows as $6.49. The 28L is a lithium version that is $10-something. Last year I bought a PX28A in my local Ace for $5.79 as I recall. The A versions seem to be fine in my Canon A-1 and Bronica SQ-A -- in fact Bronica recommended against the lithiums for the SQ-A as being too variable in specs.

17. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Earlier this week I bought a Kodak KS-28 silver oxide battery at Unique Photo in NJ for $6.95. They had a less expensive alkaline battery but did not have any lithium batteries. I would have preferred the lithium battery if only for its long shelf life. I use the size in Canon A-1, Canon F-1N, Bronica ETR/SQ/GS-1 and Minox 35 EL cameras. It gets the most use in the Bronica cameras. I don't remember whether I have tried a lithium in the Bronicas. In cold weather a silver oxide battery should work better than an alkaline. If a remote battery pack for the Bronicas was not sold it should be possible to make one.