Battery cap stuck

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Southern-Lights, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Southern-Lights

Southern-Lights Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was trying to take the battery cap off of my ME Super, I had just reset the camera and I didn't put the batteries back in before I put the bottom plate back on. Well, the battery cap became cross threaded and now will unscrew a little before it becomes stuck. Is there anyway I could get the cap to come all the way off or do I need a repair shop to do that?

2. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It might be easier to find a junk ME or ME Super with a good baseplate and battery cap, if the threads have become damaged due to the cross-threading. In any case, find a coin that fits the cap exactly, and continue working it loose. You may get lucky and just need to get a replacement cap, or might even be able to get it threaded on properly. If not, check the AS IS section on KEH and check Pacific Rim Camera (http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/index.htm) for a parts body.

-J

3. brainsalad

brainsalad Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good advice above. For what it's worth, I find that the correct coin for an ME Super is a U. S. nickel. :smile:

4. Southern-Lights

Southern-Lights Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Okay. Thanks. I'll try that once I'm done with the film that's in it.

5. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. In a similar situation, I gripped the Nickel with a large plier (Vicegrip) and placed the camera upside down on a large block of foam so I could press the Nickel hard into the battery cover slot. The foam block (or anything soft) will help protect the camera and keep it from turning from the higher torque you can exert from the Vicegrip-held Nickel.

Good luck!

6. Southern-Lights

Southern-Lights Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the help. I got the cap off using pliers, now I can get it off and on, just have to mess with it a little. Once it gets a certain point, I can jiggle the cap and it will just fall out.

As long as I can get to the batteries without taking the bottom plate off, I'm happy.

7. trevorgale

trevorgale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can pick up the bits that you need on eBay (typically) for 5 pounds, or 6.5 dollars, it is worth it to save what you already have at that price. A colleague tells me this and I checked around as well.