Bay 1 filter glass fell out!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Kc2edh, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Kc2edh

Kc2edh Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently bought a B+W Dark Red 091 filter for my Bay 1 cameras, and after taking it out on a few hot days the glass came right out of its metal ring. It was not subjected to any abuse, and looking at it carefully the glass was only attached by a thin stripe of glue around the edge. Has anyone had experience re-attaching filter glass? I'm hesitant to just superglue it in place because some glues tend to cause haze on glass. Thank you!

2. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just checked the prices for B+W filters at Freestyle. Man oh man, they are out there. If you bought your filter new I'd march right down to the vendor and demand a warantee replacement. At that price you deserve it. If that is not an option for you I would try a few dots of Gorilla Glue around the circumference. You don't want to glue the glass to the mount, you just want to keep it from falling out. I suppose you want it to be able to expand and contract without strains in the glass.

I think Super Glue type glues, cyano-acrylics, are too watery. Other than the successful temporary gluing of a broken toenail at a soccer game my entire history with super glues has been one of disappointment.

3. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No metal retaining clip? Or a threaded flange? You sure it was a B+W?

Elmer's white glue in a thin bead around the top edge? W Or just a series of glue dots on edge?on't damage glass and can be removed. Stays a bit flexible.

4. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Funny you mention this, I just had a B+W UV filter drop it's glass clear out of the ring about 3 weeks ago. WTF mate?

5. rdtaylor_sea

rdtaylor_sea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Same thing recently happened to me with a Bay II B+W UV filter. It was only secured in the ring by a couple of drops of glue. I'm not really that impressed.

6. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are counterfeit B+W filters out there.

7. snay1345

snay1345 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would be careful using superglue on a filter. I did this once and the superglue created some kind of gas or some other film that creeped through the whole filter. It took me weeks to get it cleaned off. I have since bought a bay 1 49mm filter adapter for my tlr that I use and don't have to worry about finding bay 1 filters anymore.

8. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, but this set came directly from BH. I have 6 B+W filters and two of them seem to have this issue.

9. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Methinks, that they might not be genuine B+W Filters.
    I just looked at my set of B+W filters, the damn things appear
    to be indestructible, or at least capable of lasting through my lifetime ...

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
  10. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a number of B+H filters and all have retaining rings. Something doesn't sound right, they are a division of Schneider Optics and are known for quality products. I would first try to get a resolution to the problem through the vendor and if not contact Schneider directly. Through the many years I have accumulated a number of filters from other mfg's and all had retaining rings. I settled on using the B+W's because the mounts are brass. The last ones I bought were from Calumet and B&H about 5 or 6 years ago and all have been problem-free.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

11. Kc2edh

Kc2edh Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I ordered the filter from B&H just a few weeks ago, so I'll have to give them a call and see if it's still under warranty or anything. As for the glue, it had the consistency of rubber cement when it came off. There is no type of retaining ring or anything else holding it in place. I'll give B&H a call and see where that gets me, if they can't help I'll try Schneider Optics next.

12. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Remain steadfast

Don't cave. You're the wronged party here. Their product failed, pure and simple.

13. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rdtaylor_sea

rdtaylor_sea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking at a B+W Bay II UV filter that I recently purchased from B&H. There is threading for a retaining ring in front of the glass, but no ring. I wonder if they may a bad bunch in which they forgot to install the ring?

16. jawarden

jawarden Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm sure that's all you'll need to do. Assuming there is no evidence of the filter being dropped or whatever they'll do right by you.

Good luck!

17. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's how three of mine appear as well....

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I understand it, there are counterfeit B & W filters out there. Was the OP's filter grey market by any chance?

19. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, after all the fuss here, I was reminded that I had recently purchased a B+W Bay-III Yellow filter from B&H. It had to be special ordered and took a long time; it cost a bunch, too. The front is threaded still, but the filter element is, as previously described, glued in with what looks like silicone bathtub calking compound and there is no retaining ring. It must be an experiment in cutting production costs or something.

20. rdtaylor_sea

rdtaylor_sea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I looked at my other filters. My bay I B+W UV filters have retaining rings while my bay I yellow-orange filter, which I just recently purchased, does not. None of my bay II B+W filters, all of which were purchased relatively recently, have a retaining ring. Looks like B+W is cutting costs. I find it very disappointing as I used to think that B+W filters were the best out there.

21. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A German Company cutting corners ???
    I can't even comprehend that, I guess we are all accustomed to American companies cutting corners. B+W makes the best filters in this Galaxy, maybe even the entire Universe. Something strange is going on ...

I'm assuming that these are not genuine B+W Products.
    That's the only logical explanation possible.

Ron

22. rdtaylor_sea

rdtaylor_sea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought them directly from B&H Photo and they came in B+W boxes with the seal. None of them have any writing on them stating which type of filter it is (my Bay I UV filters have the retaining rings with the description). Strange. I think that I'm going to send an email to B+W.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  23. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got a B+W GND filter that has come loose as well. I would be interested to hear how to repair it - as returning it is not an option for me.

24. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What The Hell Is Going On ???

B+W Filters, Do Not Come Loose !!!

Someone should contact B+W customer service, so that they
    can investigate all the rubbish being sold with their name on it.
    Maybe send a defective filter so that they can very that it is
    not a genuine B+W Item. And why they are possibly being sold
    by camera shops ... " Allegedly "

Consumers are being scammed, and I'm sure the vast
    majority, probably wouldn't know the difference.

I'm checking out my B+W filter right now, it seems like it would
    take a direct nuclear blast to destroy this thing, it's so well made !

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  25. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  26. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread makes me glad that I ended up forking out what I thought to be a ludicrous amount for an original set of Rollei Bay I yellow and red filters plus a hood. I would probably have to melt them down before I could get the actual colored filter out. :laugh: