BBC Photography Series--The Genius of Photography (incl. international broadcasts)

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Steve Smith, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For those of us in the UK and anyone else who can receive BBC4 via satellite or cable, the BBC are running a six part series called 'The Genius of Photography'.

Details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/01_january/17/bbcfour_ah.shtml (scroll down to bottom of page).

And here: http://www.walltowall.co.uk/catalogue_detail.aspx?w2wprogram=15

There is also a feature in this week's Amateur Photographer magazine.

Steve.

Moderator's note: International broadcasts of this series are also announced in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip off Steve, looking forward to watching this! Any idea when it starts?

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The AP article says that it starts this week. I will look in the TV guide when I get home.

Most BBC4 programmes seem to get repeated regularly so I hope I have not missed the first episode.

Steve.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have found it:

Thursday 25th October 9pm BBC Four
    Repeat: Monday 29th October 8pm BBC Four

(AP says this week but as with most magazines, it is dated a week (or month) in advance of publication. Today's issue is dated 20th October).

Steve.

5. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I doubt if any yanks will watch this, the idea of 60 minutes of uninterrupted TV will too much to handle.

6. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There's a very good book that goes with the series. I picked it up last weekend, large hardback, £20 in Waterstones.

I found it a very good introduction to photographic history, genres etc. Fascinating reading if you haven't looked at this stuff before.

Cheers

Mike

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe the series will be shown on BBC Prime (Satellite channel available abroad) or perhaps BBC World Service TV. I can't see it replacing that great export East Enders though :smile:

Ian

8. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Indeed. If they should ever lose the soundtrack to their Matt Monro docco I'd be more than happy to call it up from memory for them!

Steve

9. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the times, I only caught half the advert.

10. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I got the book that accompanies the series the other day, amazon have it at £12.50, bargin :smile:

11. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Genius of Photography

I posted the following yesterday, probably in the wrong section of the forum,so am repeating it now :-

Members who are able to receive the BBC 4 television channel should be aware that a new 'definitive' series starts on Thursday, 25th October at 9pm.
    It is billed as an impressively thorough exploration of all aspects of photography from the days when Henry Fox Talbot and Louis Daguerre announced their different ways of making photographs.

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am sure it will be worth a look. We just need to remember that it is for Joe Public rather than dedicated photogs and judge it accordingly.

pentaxuser

13. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shall watch it with interest as I had to study the history of photography when I did my "A level" photography course/exams as a mature student some years ago. It was split up to the year 1900 and post 1900, the choice of period for the written exam being left to the candidate.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2 1/2 hours to go.... And I notice they are repeating the documentary on Edward Chambre Hardman immediately after it.

Bob.

16. Paul.

Paul. Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    See the bu---rs, nothing for months then all at once and me with a 5am start. If I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck, any idea when they will repeat the repeat of the Edward Chambre Hardman program.
    Regards Paul.

17. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both were well worth watching, though unfortunately I have to miss the first 15 mins of all the 'Genius of Photography' series.

I thought the first programme in the series was particularly strong on the power of vernacular photography.

18. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I watch BBC, it is for Dr. Who, Torchwood, or Graham Norton. ;D

PE

19. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm putting it on to DVD. It's one to be kept. The last time the BBC did a great series was the 1970's Masters of Photography. Would really love that repeated!

Pity they "artists" turning their noses up at vernacular photography.

20. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice start to the series but a bit surprised they mentioned Davy, Fox Talbot and Daguerre but nothing about Niepce. I found the daguerreotype piece fascinating , especially the unique look of the things.

Superb program afterwards about Chambre Hardman. Some of his work must look stunning in the flesh. The Ark Royal photograph ( http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dserve.exe?&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=ImageView.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqImage=ECH110001D.jpg )is world class and stands up with the best of them.

21. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BBC - The Genius of Photography

Did anyone see the first installment of this last night (BBC4)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/photography/genius

Found it really interesting - I think it is repreated in a couple of days - may say on the website.

First episode started right at the beginning - some really interesting stuff - photographer making Daguerrotypes was fascinating, as were the New York crime scene photorgaphs. Plust loads of other stuff.

22. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I watched and really enjoyed it!

One day I'll have to make a room into a camera obscura as in the opening scenes, (although I wasn't inspired by the artsy fartsy editing in that section).
    Fox-Talbot's paper negatives versus the one off Daguerrotypes. Seeing a Daguerrotype being made has made me want one to hang on the wall!
    The section on 'the Kodak fiends' and their round prints was fascinating. Then there were the murder scene photos from NY City Police Department in the early 20th century, their poor homes looking 'like the tombs of the pharoahs', shot straight down, showing the tripod legs and the detectives feet. Brilliant!
    The most interesting for me was the part on 'vernacular' photographers, amateurs. I would love to browse through those albums of Jacques Henri Latigue!

All in all this looks like being a superb series... although I have a feeling I might be less interested in the final part. :wink:

23. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very enjoyable, well done to the BBC.

Did they commission it or did it come from another source?

24. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be fair, I thing the "Arty editing" in the camera obscura bit was as a result of shooting in what must have been very low light - they mush have had the camera in some sort of night mode / long shutter.

All in all very interesting - love the way the tripod legs intrude into the NY Police photorgaphs.

25. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do they send their stuff on the web as well? I didn't find anything on that address, so I guess not.

/matti

26. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format