Been lurking for a while, here I am - Greetings from central Ontario!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by rjhelms, Oct 13, 2012.

1. rjhelms

rjhelms Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all,

Been lurking here for a few months and thought I'd say Hi. Name's Rob, and I live in Peterborough, Ontario, in the elusive Canadas.

I've been doing film photography for about 4 months now. I'm primarily using a Minolta Maxxum 7000i which I found for free online years ago, but didn't touch for the longest time. Before that, I'd only ever really used point-and-shoot cameras (film and digitial) on holidays, etc. I don't really know what possessed me to get seriously into film photography this past summer, but since I started I've been averaging shooting 2 or 3 rolls of 35mm every week. I pretty quickly got into doing my own B&W development & scanning. Recently, I was amazingly given an Omega B-600 enlarger and a Canon AE-1 (with a nice selection of lenses) by a local amateur photographer who switched over to digital a few years ago, who I met on Twitter.

I just finished setting up a quick-and-dirty darkroom on Wednesday night, and have been having a ton of fun learning the very basics of the art of printing over the past few days. I am finding that, as I am still very slowly learning the "art" side of photography, also being able to work on the "craft" side of developing and printing has really helped keep me very interested and motivated.

I've largely been doing concert photography - available light shots of local bands, which has led to some dubious cases of me pushing film farther than it should do - and some "urban" protography. Not sure if it's quite "street", whatever that means: things like views through shop windows, monuments and public buildings, etc. I was just recently visiting Toronto (my home town) and spent about an hour photographing the Allen Expressway (highway and subway tracks.)

Anyways, thanks for having me - looking forward to hanging around and learning from y'all, especially about enlarging & printing techniques.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Rob, from the left coast of Canada.

I predict you are going to enjoy it here.

3. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to aPUG, great site to share and learn. We are damned near neighbors, I live in Pakenham, just a bit west of Ottawa. I love working in the darkroom as much as I do shooting. Feel free to email me anytime or just stop by and have a cold one and we can talk photography. Don

4. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome from Hamilton.

5. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from down in Texas!! You'll fit right in here (and here in Texas too with that y'all you threw in there!!:smile:

6. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome. Try to get down to the PHSC Fall swap meet tomorrow. Check the Toronto/GTA/Ontario board here for details.

7. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, RJ,

Welcome from southwestern Illinois.

Konical

8. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Rob! I'm mostly a Prairie girl myself, but spent 4 good years in Toronto. Glad to have you here!

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Rob and welcome to APUG.

10. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome aboard, Rob, from another beginner.

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Rob and I hope you enjoy APUG!

Jeff

12. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are actually more Canadians here then you may expect at first.

Glad you are enjoying the film habbit.

13. rjhelms

rjhelms Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! I'm amazed at how many Canadians there are here.

Great to be amongst a community of film lovers. I only know one other person "in the real" who still shoots film regularly. Most of my friends think I'm some sort of madman when I talk about my photography exploits.

14. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Rob.