Beginning tool sets

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Absinthe, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Absinthe

Absinthe Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am just getting started, and looking for recomendation of tools. I have started with Romney's book and picked up a few things here and there.

Well, I have needed the flexiclamp, so I know they are necessary tools for the job they do, however, what are the basic gotta-have sizes?

2. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could give recommendations if I knew what you wished to do.

3. Absinthe

Absinthe Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's fair :smile:

Basically, I want to find common cameras that are workable but old and bring them back into service. There is a much bigger story to this, but for now, all I am looking for is what I will need most comonly, and then I will get other stuff onsie-twosie as needed. I am not looking to become the next greatest camera repairman, but for the most part, acl's shutter servicing, tha tsort of thing, on 120, and 620 stuff mostly as well as the odd manual 35 mm and some commonly available lf stuff

4. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First and foremost: Buy the best quality possible as that is the cheapest in the long run. Good tools last forever almost. I like working on small items over a tray with sides. Sometimes things are hard to find on the floor.

Set of jewellers screwdrivers
    Small pliers including fine needle nose.
    Couple of heavy, wide rubber bands for unscrewing lenses etc.
    Toothpicks and Q-tips
    Small containers to hold parts in the same order you remove them.

The list could go on and on; you know what you need
    Try to find a company that sells watchmaking tools.
    Google Lee Valley Tools for watchmakers cases for container idea.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Flexiclamps are not really need unless you plan on dealing with M series leicas.
    Some cameras like the minolta SRT's you can use a piece of rubber tubing with the end cut flat to remove the collar surrounding the shutter release. You can get the flexiclamp but it's only a buck for a foot of tubing.
    Go to Microtools.com & get the #2 crosspoint screwdriver tips(& spares), handle, & some straight blades. I use straight tips from .8mm up to 3mm. the smaller one are for set screws found in lenses and some shutter speed dials or rewind knobs.
    A Spanner handle with pointed and flat tips, a multitester(analog) digital will give more accurate readings but the analog will allow you to test capacitors for leakage.
    Don't bother trying to use cheapy jewelers screwdriver sets, the tips are not the correct angle and are usually too brittle. The tips you need are called "crosspoint" and the angle of the tip is slightly sharper.
    The large rubber bands suggested earlier work very well & I also use a set of rubber stoppers(hdw store) for removing decorator rings on lenses. You can also use them for removing the Minolta shutter speed collar. Press down & twist with 'em.

6. haris

haris Guest

Look at http://www.micro-tools.com/. You probably won't need all that, but you can get general impression what is mostly wanted and used for camera repairing. I mean, if people don't need and buy particular tool, they wouldn't sell it, right? :smile:

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A good supplier for micro screws because there are hundreds of differents types, heads, threads, you name it. You can always get a supply by breaking down junk components for parts, but familiarize yourself with the various fasteners as this will save time down the road.

8. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get yourself a good magnifying lamp.One with a circular florescent bulb that doesn't cast shadows.I'll post a picture of mine in a bit.

9. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Magnifying Lamp

here's the one I use.Picked it up at my local office supply shop.

Attached Files:

10. Absinthe

Absinthe Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks! These are the things good to hear. So tel me this, how do I remove the lens cells from a Kodak Reflex II without a flexiclamp?

11. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Better yet, for me. How do you remove an aperture ring from, say, a Minolta MD lens without loosing the spring and the click ball?

12. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Verrrry carefully!
    Seriously though, cup the lens so when the ball decides to eject youhave most of the escape path covered And remove the ring very slowly, that way when the bearing comes out it's caught by the edge of the aperture ring.
    I'm very sure the lost bearings end up in the same dimension with all the lost socks.

13. Absinthe

Absinthe Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Do it in a changing bag :smile: or at least a plastic garbage bag. Things can go wherever they want and when they are done they are inside.

14. shootpositive

shootpositive Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a chinese spanner off Amazon for $15 and it totally sux but I've been barely getting by with it.

Now I need a good spanner to unlock a stubborn screw ring on a Nikon 200mm f/4

I love the spanner wrench on micro-tools but maybe there's something mid-range that's a little cheaper.

I don't have $100 to spend on a tool to fix lenses but I would if I had the tool! What a conundrum

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For once the incorrect spelling of losing is sort of correct!

Yes, but where is that? I have twenty six socks in a drawer at home with not a single pair amongst them!

Steve.

16. Absinthe

Absinthe Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have had good luck with these:

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-SP-SET/Spanner-Wrench-Set-3-Piece-Economy.aspx