Behind the lens filter for Nikon 14mm

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by djkloss, Nov 14, 2004.

1. djkloss

djkloss Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently purchased a used Nikon 14mm which I love. I was wondering how to specify the type of filter I need when ordering filters. They must be pretty thin to go in that little slot in the back? I was thinking of getting a red 25A for b&w.

Also, I was using it with Velvia 50 and got a sky that no polorizer could ever get. Wow! Is that something to do with the lens makeup or what? Incredible blue sky! almost *too* dark!

Dorothy - (love my F3)

2. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just used Lee polyester (not resin) filters cut to size. You could use Wratten gelatin filters as well. I bought 100 mm square Lee filters, so that the remainder of the filter was still useful.

Here's the selection of 100 mm square (4"x4")from B&H.

It's a nice lens. Mine was stolen while being shipped four years ago, and I haven't replaced it yet.

Best,
    Helen

3. Stan. L-B

Stan. L-B Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hello Pisces.
    You mention a 14mm Nikkor.
    I am aware of their 13/15/18/20 and 24 mm lenses but not a 14. The 13 and 15 lenses were provided with filters when purchased new.

As I still use a couple of F3 and Nikkor lenses, I would be interested to learn about your lens and it's filters.
    The 24mm f 2.8 Nikkor is one of my favorite lenses and has the standard Nikon screw mount of 52mm. The 15mm f3.5 has four supplied.
    All these W/A Nikkor focus down to 12".
    Good luck.

Stan. L-B

4. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 14mm is a bug-eyed monster with a permanent, built-in tulip shade, and a hard-ended leather sock for a lens cap. It's a great rectilinear lens with less edge/corner distortion than the standard 21mm Nikkor.

Just don't walk around with the camera up to your eye - you'll bump into things. :wink:

5. lpacilio

lpacilio Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gels for 14mm

Helen gave you the proper answer. Just buy 100mm gels from Calumet or B&H then cut to size.

I use my 14mm with digital and film Nikons. It's a wonderfully sharp super wide angle (114 degrees on film cameras).

Pricey indeed, but a perfect tool for certain jobs.