Belgium

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by David A. Goldfarb, May 21, 2007.

1. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm going to be in Leuven (mostly) and Brussels (briefly) for a few days later this week for an academic conference. I'll probably be tied up most of the time with the conference, and we'll have the baby with us, so I'm not sure I'll have that much time for photography (I'm planning just to bring the Bronica S2a and a 50mm lens, and maybe my Perkeo II, since I'll have my briefcase where the Perkeo normally lives), but if I get any time to myself, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brugge! I loved Belgium. I want to go back.

3. pelerin

pelerin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also Ghent, you can't photograph the Van Eyck(s) but certainly a worthwhile investment of time. Then eat and drink, the national sport of Belgium.

4. tom_micklin

tom_micklin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brugge is wonderful.
    Also Villers Abbey is a great place to photograph.
    Have fun, Belgium is worth the trip.
    Tom

5. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David,

Bruges (Brugge) is too far from Leuven. If you could spend a whole day at Bruges, then do visit it.

I studied at Leuven for 2 years. It's not that big and there's more to see than I could mention here.
    The new railwaystation is worth a visit.

Greetings,
    G

6. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brugge and Gent are good suggestions, but I don't know if you have any means of transport? On the scale of America, Brugge and Gent are "just around the corner" from Leuven, but in fact, they are almost on the other side of Belgium.

I've been to Gent many times (it was the closest "big city" in the area where I grew up), to Brugge a few times; both are wonderful. BUT(!) I still haven't been to Leuven, and from what I have heard, that should be pretty nice as well. So, maybe you don't need to travel far :wink: .

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brugge is the most weird Flemish city I know…

Totally empty medieval small streets along which you can see another street crossing, filled with tourists shoving along. From this perspective it’s like a view from te past into today.

Go and visit this town. But you should know what to expect.

8. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I lived 13 years in Leuven, so plenty to see; Go and see the gothic city hall (14th century) and have a beer at the Oude Markt.

M.

9. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't think we'll be able to visit other cities on this trip, but I'm sure there will be other opportunities in the future.

10. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, just promise me you have moulles and frits with a good Beligian brew, wherever you go.

11. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excuse me to correct you, but since you're not a native Flemish speaker, you will never be able to pronounce mosseleuh mee frit as it is supposed to be :wink:

David, don't touch the mosseleuh mee frit nowadays. It is an old saying that you should only eat mussels (?) in months containing the letter R. So, not may until september.

Drinking beer is valid anytime of the year. I don't know your preferred flavor?

G

12. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm actually slightly allergic to mussels, so I have to avoid them in any case, but thanks for the warning!

13. Christopher Nisperos

Christopher Nisperos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

If you're a beer drinker, perhaps you'd like to visit the Stella beer brewery, right there in Leuwen.

Also, here's another vote for Brugges, if you have time. Hard to take a bad picture there! The train system is great in Belgium, and the distances shortish, so maybe it'd be possible to get an afternoon in.

Meanwhile, don't forget Brussels! Even if you've been there before, there's plenty of things tucked away. Have you toured any of the Art Nouveau houses? Seen the pagoda? The huge basilica? Here's a good site for planning:
    http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?fx=location&loc_id=131827&submit.x=7&submit.y=6

If you come through Paris, contact me. I'll buy you a croissant. Meanwhile, enjoy your trip!

Best,

Christopher

PS - weather is weird lately. Bring a coat and be prepared to take it off often!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest instead of mosseleuh mee frit another great meal frit bifstuk méh tartaar enne witte
    meaning steak , french fries and a spicy sauce, with a white beer of Hoegaarden. Youy must know the code.

M.

16. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Alas, Paris isn't on the itinerary this time.

We'll be on the lookout for all manner of food and beer suggestions.

We're off this evening. Melchior finally got his passport yesterday, so we're free to travel. It looks like we'll have a couple of nice days and a couple of days of rain, so I'm just bringing one camera, one lens.

17. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I loved Belgium, especially for its vast choice of beers, Leffe Blonde being my favorite.:tongue:

18. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WHile I might have been taking my life into my hands eating moulles in July, they were awesome. I like to live dangerously.

And yes, I was in the north and asking for them in French was tres gauche. I didn't have the Flemish request down and I stayed in the north. Not much chance the Wal;oon's can prepare them as well. :wink:

Another Belgian trip tip. Fill your luggage with chocolate. Your friends and family will be eternally grateful. The Belgians put the Ductch and Swiss to shame.

19. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm sure my wife is thinking ahead of me on this one.

20. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the Brusselsestraat (about 500m from the city hall) there is a chocolatier who makes all the pralines by hand. Hmm.

M.

21. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you do not have the time to wander around a lot in Belgium, so perhaps the African Matongé district in Brussels might be interesting. I is somewhat like visiting Congo (ore Zaire) but the smaller way. Very good for some nice street-shots. It is near the Saint Boniface church and it is intersected by the well known Chaussée de Wavre (ask the Taxi driver) and do not worry, it is rather safe there. On the corner of the rue Solvay and the rue Saint Boniface you will find the Mecca of the used camera shops in Belgium, the famous Maison Campion, it is a must for a true Apugger!

Have a nice stay in Belgium and show us some pictures you made there!

Philippe

22. Samuel Hotton

Samuel Hotton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have a fun and safe trip to Belgium. I purchased a small piece of lace work for may wife 32 years ago while in Brugges. She still treasures it. Perhaps it might be something to consider as a present while there.
    Sam H.
    P.S. Thanks for the great tips for my NYC trip.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I enjoy Flanders, lived there, know my way around and try to be there as often as possible.
    I like (female) Flemish voices…

But as this thread went the culinary way:
    I must admit I prefer the Dutch fries… (a sacrilege??)

(To the initiates: my favourite word on a Flemish menu is `schorseneren´.)

24. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When talking about beer, as a son of a Flemish brewer (3 Th. generation) I firmly advise you to stay away of the Stella Artois and Jupliller products! This is actually no real beer, unless you want to taste the alcoholic juice made of rice and Indian corn! The same for Leffe, which is an over sweetened imitation of the very famous and sublime Trappist ale. If you really want to taste the intense flavour of the Belgian beer, try the 6 deferent Trappist ale's, they come in different brands, types and degrees, they are just splendid (see : http://www.photoeil.be/books/trappist/trappist.html ).

Be aware of the imitators!

Santé,

Philippe

25. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm an American. I live where American beer comes from (some excellent micro brewsm notwithstanding). You can't convince me there's a bad Belgian beer!

26. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL! Okay, let's rephrase, then. There's Belgian beer, and there's even better Belgian beer. :D