Bellow hoods on RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by pjm1289, Jan 20, 2007.

1. pjm1289

pjm1289 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,

Is there any advantage to using a bellow-hood v a lens hood in the studio or even on-location? I hear the bellow hood create vingetting and regular lens hoods don't. Is this true?

--Paolo

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you set the bellows hood right then it will work just fine. Only potential problem is if you're using wide lenses. I don't remember how wide the Mamiya hood goes but I don't think it goes wide enough for wide angle lenses.

Remember bellows hoods cost quite a bit more so if they didn't work who would buy them?

3. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Bellows lens hood is great for studio work because you can adjust them to any lens. Besides, some come with Corkin filter slots at the lens and mask slots in front for specail effects.

4. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    jusxt don't use one with the 65 or 50, as it will vignette. The one I bought from KEH was an original version, cheapest way for me to get a 3" gel holder.

5. pjm1289

pjm1289 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your responses, everyone. I have a 180mm lens so I think everything should work out.

6. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A late contribution - I bought a big RB67 outfit new about 10 years ago and included a compendium lens hood because I'd never owned one before. For me it was a big mistake - I never used it for a single picture. My best buy in this area was a set of 77 mm metal lens hoods for my 3 lenses (50, 90 and 180) from Active Industries in India - these hoods were ridiculously cheap and I was particularly glad to get rid of the horrible rubber push-on hood for the 50 mm lens, which was always falling off. Furthermore, I always like to have rigid lens hoods, especially for field work, so that I can put lenses down standing on their hoods and know they will not be damaged.

Regards,

David