Bellows cost

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Bruce Osgood, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm considering making an offer on an 8X10 B&J camera that has an extension rail. It has been sitting in a box for 9 years and the owner can only say the bellows are supple and to the best of his knowledge light tight, or they were 9 years ago when he last used it.

I would like to offer a bid assuming the bellows needs replacement. Does anybody have an idea what that cost might be?

I looked at a couple of sites that replace bellows but before they can offer a price they need to know precise dimensions and I can't supply that.

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last year, it cost me 225 dollars plus shipping to have the bellows replaced on my 5x7 Agfa-Ansco.

3. ragc

ragc Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I replaced mine about 1 1/2 years ago(half-plate camera) for $105.00, but the bellowsmaker has been problematic and I wold not recommend him in good conscience, although my bellows are fantastic.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I suspect it's going to be around $250-300 for a new 8x10" bellows from one of the main suppliers like CameraBellows UK (or whatever their current name is).

5. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. aeronaut

aeronaut Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Found this online, can't vouch for them as I haven't done business with them, but the website looks professional:

http://www.gortite.com/bellows/photography.html

Gortite company. Don't know if they have stock bellows or not. Don't know what prices are like. If anyone does, please post here.

Regards,
    Martin

7. picker77

picker77 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In an exhausting and totally futile search to identify material for making my own bellows, I ran across these people--they are one of the VERY few custom bellows builders on the planet, but I've not personally bought anything from them.

http://www.turnerbellows.com/bellows.html