Bellows Extension

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike A, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Is there a link or chart giving the amount of bellows extension required for various different focal length lenses? I need to know what bellows extension is required for a 750mm and a 1000mm lens.

Mike

2. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The back focus of a lens varies. Watcha got ?

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Generally, for practical use, you want at least 25% more bellows than the focal length of your longest lens (less if your longest lens is a tele design). If this is for a field camera, bear in mind that more bellows adds more weight (both of the bellows and the camera necessary to support it at those extensions) and can make it harder to work with wide lenses.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, how close do you want to be able to focus with said lens? If you want to use your ULF for portrait work, you need to be able to focus to 1:1, which is generally 2x focal length of the lens. This of course creates a HUGE bellows to have to manage, especially outdoors where it can turn into a giant sail.

5. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    21" of bellows draw.

6. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Strictly landscape, so I'll be closing down to f64 and f90 mostly.

7. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

21" is 534mm, so using 750mm or 1000mm non-tele lenses is not possible on your camera...

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    With 21", I'd say 450mm or 19" would be the longest lens that you can use practically without adding an extension lensboard or extending the camera in other ways.

9. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I've been informed that at least 28" is required and my Phillips is short, a rail design in this format is looking good right about now.

Mike

10. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Dave, I'm using a Nikon 450 right now. i find myself compress my subject matter more and more so I think eventually will have to make a change.

Mike

11. claytume

claytume Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Mike

Phillips cameras weren't designed to do what you want to do, you'll either need to find a tele lens which are quite rare (aerial cameras had them) or use another camera. Yes a rail camera would be a good choice.

I agree that for landscape use the big long lenses have some use.

Clayton

12. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Yeah Clayton, I new this buying the camera from Dick as well as the non revolving back that has cropped up as a "issue" from time to time. This is buy know means a knock on Dick as he was very informative and helpful.

Mike

13. Jay Packer

Jay Packer Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mike:

You haven't said what format Phillips you have, but it sounds like the 11x14 Explorer.

If so, you might check with Michael Ward Jones (APUG subscriber). If I remember correctly, he had S.K. Grimes make an extension lensboard for his Phillips Explorer that would allow him to use a 30 inch Artar. I think he later sold it on a prominent internet auction site....

I had Grimes make an extension lensboard so I could use a 1000mm Docter Optic Apo-Germinar on my Phillips 12x20 (~36 inch bellows draw). It works like a charm; the camera is very stable, and the front standard is more than strong enough to hold up that very substantial hunk of glass.

Don't give up on the Phillips just yet; they're pretty remarkable field cameras.

14. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Yes Jay it is 11x14 and no I wont throw in the hat yet. I have a couple options to explore and I have just gotten comfortable with the camera.
    Mike