BELPLASCA foggy viewfinder

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by avortex, Nov 19, 2014.

1. AlexT

AlexT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Here are some pictures of partially dissembled Belplasca recently listed on eBay. It may be helpful to anybody trying to work on the shutter. I was able to lubricate the shutter without much disassembly. I removed the top for the viewfinder cleaning (thanks Jack!) and applied few tiny drops of oil with a syringe and needle through the hole over the shutter mechanism. It made the slow speeds working again. I can't wait to see your hot shoe project as well! s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg

2. mdanie789

mdanie789 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd like to thank everyone contributing to this thread. I've just bought a Belplasca from Germany knowing I would need to clean the viewfinder, so you've told me how. Unfortunately, although described as "Technically in order" the shutter sticks open, so I'm waiting for the seller (a proper photo store!) to decide how they wish to deal with it before trying any repairs.

3. AlexT

AlexT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi, does stick open at all speeds or only at slow speeds bellow 1/25?

4. mdanie789

mdanie789 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Alex, at all speeds. Makes me suspect a defective or broken spring but don't want to mess with it until I know what the seller's view is. Rather disappointing as paid full (European) price and you'd expect a photo store to check something as obvious as this.

5. AlexT

AlexT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I got mine from an on line camera shop as well. I asked detailed questions, the seller answered each of them, like everything was great. When I received the camera the shutter was off and slow speeds didn't work at all. I decided to keep it because focus and aperture were smooth, lenses clear and the film transport didn't cause any problems. The best improvement I did it was to stick some flocking fabric to the bottom of the chambers. It reduced the internal reflection helped with contrast and saturation.
    If you purchased your camera on eBay, it's seller's responsibility to deliver the camera safely, even if the damage occurred during shipping.

6. mdanie789

mdanie789 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I've had a few frustrating eBay camera purchases recently (especially 2 Contaflexes) where simple checks could have avoided false descriptions. Thanks for the flocking suggestion - I'll bear that in mind if I find another Belplasca. The seller has offered a refund, so it's sensible if I accept that.