Benbo Trekker alternative?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by salan, Aug 3, 2012.

1. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi We have used Benbo Trekkers until now, and they have suited us well (we do a lot of macro photography of flowers/fungi etc).
    The trouble is that both tripods have developed the same fault. The joint of the legs to the 'universal joint(I have no idea what you call it! the bit that clamps the legs together!) has come loose and in such a way that it would be hard (talking of having thin shims made and then drilling out the pins) to repair. To me it seems like a design flaw (I don't expect two used by two dif people to get the same problem). So what do people suggest as an alternative please?
    35mm cameras only and must be light for transporting. Cost not an issue (within sensible limits).
    Alan

2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are a number of carbon-fiber tripods around. They are light weight and durable. I have a Gitzo that is very compact that I travel with and it easily supports a medium format camera and lens up to 250mm. I have their magnesium ball head to go with it. I don't recall the cost but at the time I bought it there weren't too many carbon-fiber ones available and since it is something that lasts a long time it has proved to be a worthwhile investment.

It is also possible that a repair can be made. Why not check with the mfg. or maybe a machine shop?

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

3. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Log onto the Paterson darkroom site as they have spares for ALL Benbo tripods including the trekker models. It could be something simple like the friction pads are worn. They sell new bent bolts, washers and pads all combined in a kit. Certainly cheaper than buying brand new tripods.

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you likely know there really is nothing like a Benbo. I've had a trekker for almost 20 years now. Awesome for macro. Sure there are other tactics and techniques for macro using standard and sometime different tripods but nothing is like the Benbos. I'd second the suggestion to attempt a repair.

5. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed on the Benbo's. They are good. But with ours, the only repair I can see to do is remove the top sections of each leg and replace them. But that might be possible.
    What concerns me is why both have gone that way?
    Alan

6. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just looked up the spares and the price for replacing the parts (without postage) would be £104.07!!
    We only paid £99 for a new one. A mk3 is £105.38. So although it would repair two, I am 'sitting on the fence' for now.
    Alan

7. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just looked up the spares and the price for replacing the parts (without postage) would be £104.07!!
    We only paid £99 for a new one. A mk3 is £105.38. So although it would repair two, I am 'sitting on the fence' for now.
    Alan