Bergger 200 & Grain

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by oriecat, Jan 23, 2005.

1. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On Christmas I shot a roll of Bergger 200 that'd been in the fridge for a few months waiting for a subject... I generally use 400 speed film, so I thought I would get finer grain, but it's much grainier than I ever expected. So I don't know if I did something wrong, if this film is just like this, if it was in combo with the Rodinal, or what... I used my flash much of the day, because we were inside, but I am pretty such this one was natural light due to the shadow on his face. I developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 12 minutes, 68 degrees, enlarged to 6x9.

I don't necessarily dislike it, at least on this shot, but I was just surprised it would be this grainy at 200. Thanks for any thoughts. :smile:

(please excuse the dust marks, this was just a quick print, since my fixer was dying...)

Attached Files:

2. rusty71

rusty71 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You used 35mm? Yes, it can be very grainy in Rodinal. Calbe A49 is a much better developer for Forte 200, which is what this film is. Use it undiluted and grain will be very small.

3. Dean Williams

Dean Williams Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't had much grain with this film in Rodinal. I may develop for somewhat less contrast than some folks, but I don't know if that's the sole reason for the smallish grain in shots like this one. This is the only example I have handy. It's a scan from a print. Rodinal 1+100 at about 13 min.

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views: