Bergger BPFB-18

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Annie, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Annie

    Annie Member

    Messages:
    273
    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2003
    I have some BPFB-18 that I would like to use to make enlarged negs for Pt printing. The instruction sheet accompanying the film, in regard to exposure and processing is vague to say the least and I could find little data with a web search. Could someone that has used this film successfully please give me a general idea as to exposure for a projected average contrast interpositive (seconds? minutes? similar to paper?). I assume the speed of this film is 18, any reciprocity concerns? The developers I have on hand are HC110, XTOL, Rodinal, A49, T-max, D76 & Dektol, will one of these suffice? Also any suggestions for development times. Thanks....Annie.
     
  2. Aggie

    Aggie Member

    Messages:
    4,925
    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2003
    Location:
    So. Utah
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ..
     
  3. Donald Miller

    Donald Miller Member

    Messages:
    6,242
    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    Insofar as your questions on exposure, development times, and developer for producing interpositives with this material...that will obviously depend on the factors of your original camera negative density, your light source, and ultimately the process for which you are producing enlarged negatives.

    Typically, on an contact printed interpositive, one wants a fairly low contrast. I would strive to obtain full shadow and highlight information on the interpositive with a DR of .80-.90 (high value densities minus low value densities). The next step in which the interpositive is enlarged to a new negative is where one typically builds contrast.

    I have used Freestyle and Photowarehouse ortho lith film and the ISO of these materials is 6 which in the case of the Bergger film would involve a 1 1/2 stop increase in speed. When I contact print a 4X5 negative onto the films that I mentioned, with a camera negative having a DR of 1.00 ((high value densities minus low value densities), my exposures will typically run on the order of 20-25 seconds at F16. The light source that I use is my Saunders 4550 VCCE (250 watt light source) enlarger with my enlarger head height at a 8X10 inch enlargement.

    If I were you I and I was working with the same light source I would begin exposing the Bergger film at 40 seconds at F32. After making one exposure you will be able to determine what adjustments may be in order. What one looks for in the interpositive is a fairly low density and low contrast with detail that correspond to the camera negative highlights. Dektol will work as a developer but it should be diluted beyond paper developing strength. I would plan on working with a 1-5 dilution (70 degrees) and plan on developing times in the range of 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes. Since this is an ortho film you will be able to use your paper safelight unless it is too near the developing tray. You will be able to develop by inspection.

    The desired interpositive will have detail in both the highlight and shadow regions and appear to be lower in contrast then a camera negative. Obviously the interpositive must be free of pinholes etc. that would be transmitted to the enlarged negative. From this interpositive, typically one then enlarges the interpositive onto the appropriate film for an enlarged negative. I have used the Freestyle and Photowarehouse ortho lith film for enlarged negative film. It is inexpensive and once again Dektol can be used at appropriate dilution. The desired density range for an enlarged negative will depend on the sensitometric characteristics of the process in which you engage. For platinum that would obviously be higher then the camera negative from which the enlargement originated. Some of the pt-pd photographers will be able to help you there. Good luck.
     
  4. fhovie

    fhovie Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,247
    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Port Hueneme
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just tried my first interpositive for my first 8x10 neg for a Van Dyke. Rather than make an 8x10 interpositive, I contact printed my 4x5 neg to some 4x5 Ilford Ortho film. The interpositive was VERY low contrast - even less than my negative. When I enlarged the 4x5 positive to an 8x10 Arista Ortho sheet, it gained N+3 maybe. Then in the Van Dyke process printed with lots of sparkle but blown out highlights. The image was fine for this but I can see there is lots of room for technique.
     
  5. Aggie

    Aggie Member

    Messages:
    4,925
    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2003
    Location:
    So. Utah
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ..
     
  6. Annie

    Annie Member

    Messages:
    273
    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2003
    Great... now I have a place to start, a methodology, and have a clearer concept of what to look for in the negatives. I will do some testing this morning.

    Also, I must say that I sincerely appreciate how generous everyone is with their time and valuable information.... I know this is 'business as usual' at APUG, but the high quality of responses to all of my postings it is still amazing to me. Thanks again, Annie.
     
  7. roy

    roy Member

    Messages:
    1,308
    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Location:
    West Sussex
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used this film for enlarged negative making only once, but I have every intention of using it again and have nothing against it, developing it in Ilford Bromophen, a paper developer similar to Ilford PQ Universal. I used it in a similar manner to a sheet of paper, doing the usual test strips to ascertain the results I wanted. No problems were experienced and I liked working with it using a red safelight. I aimed for a fairly flat interpositive and used that to get the correct density negative.