Bergger! Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by RoBBo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. RoBBo

RoBBo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Considering the way things turned recently for Bergger, I'm hoping Simon can fill us in on this...
    As a matter of curiosity, when is Bergger expecting production to be back up and running in the new facility?

And as a matter of print making, as VCB Style is hands down my absolute favorite paper...
    When is distrubtion expected to have the paper out to its usual sources again?

If Simon can't answer this...does anyone else have any information on the subject?
    I really need to get my hands on some...

2. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    New Bergger products are already available in France.
    I tried the new NB paper, which is very beautiful, and very different from MGIV.
    I hace read elsewhere that new CB is very close to warmtone from ilford. But I can't confirm it.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You really need to ask Bergger not Simon, try looking at their website, they market their own products.

The new products were only released recently in Europe and aren't fully available yet, product will have to be shipped by sea to the US, that can take a little longer, from experience sometimes 4 or 5 weeks.

Ian

4. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Ian,

You are quite correct, we will not comment whatsoever on any Bergger product, now or in the future as this is a commercial agreement between Bergger France and HARMAN technology Limited, I am aware that Bergger do regulaly check the APUG forums.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

5. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The only thing is that Harman claims that they do not sell their own products to other labels. I am right Simon?

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is a subtle difference between repackaging your own brand products under a different label for sale, and manufacturing for someone else to their own specification, which is what I believe Harman are doing for Bergger.

7. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    That is what I believe, too. Indeed, I tested new NB, and compared it to old one, and MGIV. The New paper is very close to the former one, but quite different from MGIv.

8. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried a box of Bergger VF FB a number of years ago and, while it was a decent paper, it seemed to me to be very, very slow. This was probably about the time that Oriental went bust and vanished from the US market, and I was casting around for a new paper. Is this experience typical or wacked for some reason?

Mike

9. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been printing with an older box of Bergger VC-CM and it is wonderful, giving a beautiful warm bronze-like tone on a white base. At least it's white in comparison to Ilford WT, but it doesn't come at you like a creamy base, just the emulsion gives you the feeling of warmth. In selenium for a minute at 1:10, it tones beautifully. The final image color reminds me of the feel of the images in the large Jean Loup Sieff book from Taschen.

Yes, it is slow...about 2 stops slower than Ilford and slightly less contrast.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just remember the new Bergger will be very different from the older Forte produced products. Hopefully a better price too.

Ian

11. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Is there any way to distinguish "new" Harman-produced Bergger film from older Forte-produced Bergger film? Any differences on the box? I shop at Pro Photo here in Paris, so I'd expect them to have the new stuff, but rather than asking and hoping they know, I'd like to see if anyone else knows for sure.

12. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Oh, yes. Packaging is completely different, don't worry. New boxes are grey with green (NB) or blue (CB) on the stickker.

13. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sorry -- NB and CB mean what?

14. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    NB: neutral baryta
    CB: Chaud (Warm) Baryta

15. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Oh -- I was talking about film.

16. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Nope. You have still old stock. Why? Because the new production has not been launched yet.At this time, only multigrade baryta paper was produced.

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure, according to Linhof Studio, who are a UK Bergger dealer there is a New 100 ISO film, as well as the BRF 15 ISO emulsion which was tested in Réponses Photo, just before Christmas.

Ian

18. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yes but first: brf 100 was produced in forte plant. Second, the brf 15 is no longer available, at the moment.