Beseler 23c-ii lens board sizes

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by kbrede, Nov 26, 2012.

1. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a used Beseler enlarger. The lens board that came with it had a 50mm El Nikkor lens. An omega enlarger also came with the deal and it had an 80mm El Nikkor. I swapped the 50mm for the 80mm since I want to print 6x7 negatives. I was reading that there are different lens boards for different focal length lens ranges. 8021 would work for the 50mm and 8023 for the 80mm. I'm assuming I have the 8021 but there are no markings on it, just a pilot light.

How can I tell for sure which model board I have? Will the 80mm lens work OK with what I've got?
    Thanks,

2. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both boards are flat, the only difference is the counterbore location (front vs. rear). The counterbore is fairly minor, maybe 1mm, so at most it amounts to a 2mm difference in the lens location, which is basically nothing compared to the difference in focal lengths. I'd say use the board you've got and don't worry about it.

3. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There’s a list of Beseler 23C lens boards along with descriptions (counterbore locations) and catalog numbers on this site:

http://www.oresteen.com/bess23c.htm

The 80mm lens will work fine on the flat board (4” x 4” x 1/8”) with the 23C, 23C II, and 23C III. The 80/5.6 EL Nikkor will fit both versions: 8021 counterbore on front or 8023 counterbore on back.