Beseler 23C11 XL Enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by purplesea, Jan 22, 2012.

1. purplesea

purplesea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So I'm trying to set up a darkroom for the first time on my own (other exposure has been in great college and school rooms that were already established). I was given a ton of equipment, part of which is a Beseler 23CII XL enlarger. My question is (and this is going to sound really stupid - I just can't remember to save my soul!) - do I have to have a timer, like a Gra-Lab or similar, to turn it on or off? Everything works when I plug it in - the bulb comes on, the lens stops up and down, focus works - all good, except for turning on and off without unplugging!

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, you need a timer. Which Gra-lab are you thinking about?

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'll be better off with a timer, but a simple switched outlet will actually work.

But trust me, you want a timer!

And welcome to APUG!

4. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Some people just count, or use a metronome and turn the light on/off by hand. Or better yet block the light with a card, then start & count, then block with card to stop and then turn off light.

Jon

5. purplesea

purplesea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks

I thought I needed one. I am just looking at timers on ebay - I remember using the dial type Gralab 300 in school. Nothing complicated - just something to turn on/shut off the enlarger. Right now I can only do it with the plug. My unit is missing the swing attachment for the optional red filter, so I don't have that option available. I just need to get up and running ASAP. Thanks for the info!