Beseler 23CIII-XL ?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by bvy, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only this spring began developing my own black and white film, but I've been making paper negatives (from pinhole cameras) for a few years. Naturally, I want an enlarger, and I've been casually looking for one. I will want to print 35mm and 120 black and white.

This week, an aquaintance in another state offered me an enlarger. She doesn't know if it works, but says she got it from an auction and that it's in its original packaging. It's definitely been used. It appears to be this:
    Beseler 23CIII-XL Photographic Dichro Color Enlarger

I've done some research, and this doesn't look like a starter enlarger. It looks prety advanced. As such, I'm not even sure what questions to ask about its condition. First of all, is this too much enlarger for a beginner? If not, what are the most important things to ask about on this or any enlarger? I think I should ask about lens, lens boards, negative carriers, and bulbs. But what specifically? What do these things usually come with out of the box? I think this person knows less about enlargers than I do. The blind leading the blind, perhaps. Maybe I should just ask for pictures...

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    They are a great little enlarger. Be sure the bellows don't leak, and of course as you have already suggested knowing about the lens, negative carriers will be helpful.

What is the asking price?

3. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They're a great, sturdy unit and have been a mainstay of school darkrooms because of their robust, simple design. They're very easy to get accessories and replacement parts for with only the most obscure items requiring extensive searching. The head you mentioned is versatile and will work well for variable contrast materials. They share lens boards with their larger cousin, the 45 series. I wouldn't be afraid of it and unless you go to 4X5 someday, you won't out-grow it. Post questions in here about parts and functions you're not clear about and there will be plenty of assistance.

One thing, take a few minutes when you're cleaning it up to file/emery board the bulb socket and bulb contacts. It's quite common that they have surface corrosion (not always real visible) and this can lead to very short bulb life.

4. archer

archer Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear BVY;
    If you never shoot larger than 2 1/4 by 3 1/4, the Beseler 23Clll XL will be an enlarger for a lifetime. I've even made murals with one using a hanging easel and the enlarger in horizontal mode. The Beseler 23 was my first serious enlarger and I still use one more than 40 years later even though most of my work is large format now, I still love to use the little Beseler when I get a chance.
    Denise Libby

5. Luseboy

Luseboy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've not used the dichro head, but my first enlarger was a 23cII which i recently converterted to an XL chasis. Its a great enlarger to start out on, and a great enlarger to use. Very sturdy, very durable, nice enlarger. parts are still manufactured too, so if anything breaks, your set. Go for it!

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A 23cIIIXL was my first enlarger, although it was not the Dichro model. I see no reason for it not to be a great "starter" enlarger, and one that can grow with you as you become a more skilled printer.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Trust me, you will love that enlarger. It will do everything you ask of it and more. Dont be put off by the dichro head, that just makes it easier to fine tune the contrast you prefer. 23C's are hard working, last a lifetime, machines.

8. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay then! This sounds like the enlarger for me. I don't think its owner wants anything more than to get it out of her house (i.e. it's free).

So I should ask about the condition of the bellows. I'll do that.

Worse case, the thing is stripped down -- has no accessories at all and a burnt out bulb. Is it still worth it in this case? Sounds like parts and accessories are readily available. Hopefully they're not too expensive…

Thanks for your patience with me.

9. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even somewhat stripped down, it's definitely worth it (you said free, right?). I don't have the color head, but this is the enlarger I have. If I hadn't added a 4x5 to my camera lineup this would have been all I needed. I now have two enlargers on my bench and use the 23CIII over the 45MX for most printing. It will last close to forever. I don't think there's a problem with having more than enough enlarger. I'd rather have been a beginner with this one than gradually getting better and outgrowing my enlarger.
    Once you get it and have it unpacked, if there's someone near you who's familiar with these, it might help to have them look at it to see what you need. And Freestyle still has the bulbs for it, I'm sure (they had what I need).

11. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi again. I got some photos of the enlarger and threw them up on my photoblog. Could I trouble you further to take a look and ask if you see any glaring problems or omissions? It's a bit dirty, but I don't see any real damage. Owner says the bellows looks good. All the photos are full-size and viewable from one screen.

http://1259pm.com/temp/enlarger.html

Thanks again!

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is of course no lensboard installed, and no sign in your photos of any negative holders. There also isn't any baseboard showing. Otherwise it looks good.

I cannot tell from your photos if there has been any physical damage. That is what I would check for if I was inspecting it myself (does it raise and lower smoothly and stay in place. Does the focussing work as well).

Based on the labelling on the colour head it is a current model - here is a listing at B & H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/105697-REG/Beseler_8011_03_23CIII_XL_Dichro_Enlarger.html

Looks like a good deal.

13. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, no lens, lensboard or negative carriers. I see if I bought the unit new, they don't come with them anyway.

But how much of a showstopper is no baseboard?

14. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a small laminated wood table top(they pre make several sizes)and get one the size you think will fit your needs. Then just bolt the mounting brackets to it, then the chassis to them, and you are off to the races. The alternative is to bolt directly to the counter top.

15. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Baseboards do come up for sale/auction if you watch for them. I got a D5500 baseboard from ebay a while back. Baseboards tend to get separated from enlargers because of storage, shipping or wall mounting. If you do make your own, make sure it is very thick. I got an enlarger once with a professionally laminated baseboard, but it was junk because it was too thin. D5500 basebaord is two inches thick. For your enlarger I'd not use anything less than 1 1/4" thick dense particle board.

You will be looking on ebay for lensboards and negative carriers anyway, so just keep your eyes open for a baseboard also :smile:

Good thing is that you don't need a power supply (it is built in to the head).