Beseler 6x6 slide carrier for a printmaker series

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Chiron, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Chiron

Chiron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone happen to know if they even made a 6x6 slide carrier for the Printmaker series? I have a Printmaker dual column base with a 67S dichro color head and I can find 6x6 negative carriers for my b&w negatives, but have never even been able to find a Beseler part number for a slide carrier.

Any help trying to locate one without having to make it myself would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Chiron

2. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that the OP is looking for a carrier to hold 6x6 mounted slides. I've never seen one, and I have an eBay search customized for Beseler 67 accessories that I've reviewed regularly for years. I would suggest either making something out of mat board, or considering un-mounting the slides and re-mounting them afterwards.

4. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    it never occurs to me that people mount medium format slides. Sorry, I think you are correct.

5. Chiron

Chiron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was indeed looking for a carrier to hold 6x6 mounted slides. Until (relatively) recently I've only shot 6x6 negs and have never heard of slides not being mounted. I had been planning on using gepe anti-newton ring glass mounts (pricey pricey). If unmounted is the standard, how do you keep the slide flat when enlarging? Do you just use a film holder that has a glass plate in it? Is mounting a slide larger than 35mm really only for projection then?

Am I missing something rather inherently basic about slide film or enlarging?

Thanks again for all the views and the feedback here.
    Chiron

* I should clarify, until relatively recently I have only every shot b&w in 120 and 220 sized films. I have shot 35mm b&w as well as slide film quite a bit. *

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
  6. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A slide mount is basically the same as a negative carrier that is attached to the film, so it is somewhat redundant when all you do use is an enlarger.

I don't mount anything other than 35mm, and that only because of the inherent curl / arch to the film. I also don't do color wet-printing.

Is there a reason you would think that 120 slide film would behave differently from 120 b&w film as far as flatness in the negative carrier is concerned? I think it generally uses the same base, so there should be no difference.

7. Chiron

Chiron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think that it would behave any differently. I have problems sometimes with 35mm curling and that's why I'm asking about it. I would assume that just like some of my 120 and 220 negative strips that 120/220 slide film would behave the same. Hence my question about the 6x6 carrier having glass or not.

It's just been that kind of day. Twice now someone has told or explained something to me and I've misunderstood or missed an important part. Thanks for being patient with me.

Chiron

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chiron:

Do I assume correctly that you have 6x6 slides that are currently in slide mounts (for projection) that you now wish to make prints from? Are you intending to print Ilfochromes?

Or is it that you haven't shot 6x6 slides before, and are assuming that you will need to put them into mounts?

I don't know of any lab that mounts 6x6 slides any more.

In my case, I get my MF transparencies developed and then sleeved. I then put the sleeved slides into the Printfile sheets designed to hold them (for 6x6, in strips of 4 each).

I have a slide projector for 6x6 slides, so it makes sense for me to then consider putting slides into mounts. I only mount some slides - decided upon after review on a light box.

If I were to consider printing Ilfochromes, I would either do the print before mounting the slide (using a glass carrier) or un-mount the slide first, and then use the carrier.

Same considerations if I were intending to either make an interneg (sadly, unlikely) or have the slide scanned.

9. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But the more important question, I think, is why do you want to use these in an enlarger anyway. Do you plan to make Ilfochrome prints? That's the only reason to do it, and it that's the case, don't mount the slides. Use them as you would a 6x6 negative and be done with it. Film flatness isn't usually that much of an issue, and if it is then consider a glass carrier for your enlarger.

10. Chiron

Chiron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Matt,

You are correct, I haven't worked with MF slide film before, only negative film (which I am comfortable with). I should state outright here that I have never done any color film development or slide enlargements/prints before. This was going to be my "first time" giving it a shot on my own. So go easy. :smile:

I have a roll or two of 6x6 Velvia and Provia that I will be developing soon. My assumption when I bought and shot the film was that MF slides were like 35mm slides and needed to be mounted for a multitude of reasons (storage, projection, enlargement). So I was planning on buying 6x6 slide mounts but thought I should ask about it first since I couldn't find much about the topic of mounting MF slides.

Once I had the transparencies finished and protected/mounted I was going to research what I needed to make color enlargements, which is what you're referring to as Ilfochrome. Correct? Enlarging and printing from color slides is starting to sound extremely daunting though.

It sounds as if at the least I should purchase sleeves and filing pages and then only use slide mounts for the ones I want to project.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chiron:

That sounds like an excellent approach :smile:.

FYI, the Print File pages I am currently using have their product designation "ULT 120-3HB". And most labs that develop 120 E6 will offer to return your developed film already sleeved. I usually request that it be returned sleeved and uncut.

12. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, making Ilfochromes may or may not be daunting, but it will be challenging and expensive. True, Ilfochromes have a unique look to them and they are supposed to be extremely resistant to fading and other vagaries of aging, but I never could see much sense in making them. Printing from color negatives is challenging enough and the results can be just as beautiful. Projecting a 6x6 slide though, now that's a real eye-opener if all you've ever seen were 35 mm slide projections.