Beseler Adjustable Table Question

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Pioneer, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am in the process of re-arranging my darkroom so I can add an 8x10 enlarger. I am thinking of buying the Beseler adjustable enlarger table for my Beseler. Does anyone own it and, if so, do you feel it was a good purchase for you?

2. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one for my 45MXT. It's never been the easiest thing to level and align because it tends to flex.

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, yes I have an ajust-a-table and when the enlarger is aligned one corner of the table, right rear, needs to be raised a "bit". This is the most difficult enlarger to align. This I why I'm going to be moving it out and my Durst 5x7 in.

My main process being carbon will take up a lot of the space.

4. jerrybro

jerrybro Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like Yamaha used to say different stroke for different folk, I have one and I like it. Once aligned I found it to be pretty solid, but I have the baseboard screwed down to the enlarger and the front cross piece mounted on the table. I also leveled the table before tightening all the bolts and made sure all 4 feet were in contact with the floor. I've not noticed any issues with flex or vibration. I've actually considered looking for a 2nd one for my other 45MX.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, 20+ years ago, I made my own by using those cheap metal workbench legs and adapting a plywood back to hold them together, and some 2x4 bolted to the top (of the legs) for the Beseler 4x5 to sit on, worked perfect. I then could remove the base, and put it on a lower shelf for increasing the enlargement size.

After moving, I re-purposed the workbench legs while my darkroom is stored. Since then, I got the Beseler legs from a eBay sale for next to nothing. Yes, seem pretty nice but I would never pay much for another set. I think the new price is insane, but to each their own.

So, if you cannot get a used set for cheap, then, build your own, just as good for not a lot of money. TMO

6. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Part of me agrees with you, particularly when I look at the price. Since I am already building a table for my Elwood I guess I was kind of thinking I could skip building another.

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not wall mount it? Then you could use wall mount shelf standards and movable shelves from you favorite big box shop.
    If you removed the shelf you'd have a bit more floor space.

8. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be honest I have not really thought about that. It would have to be some BIG shelf standards. That thing is heavyyy. I have it on a roller cart right now (which btw is a total nightmare to keep leveled) and I still have trouble moving it on my own when I decide to. Also, it just seems it would be harder to get everything aligned.

I guess I'll have to do a bit more research on this one.

9. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think John meant to mount the enlarger on the wall (in which case you would need a solid wall of course!) and use the shelf idea for holding the easel. Alignment would need to be checked each time I suppose, but it can be done reasonably quickly as all you are changing is the baseboard.

I sometimes make enlargements of a small part of a neg by turning round the column of my enlarger to project on the floor, then use three door-stop wedges to level a chipboard 'baseboard' by using a laser-align tool, reflecting off the glass neg-carrier.

This method could be adapted neatly by using three thumb-screws under the 'baseboard', which itself would rest on the moveable shelf. Something to watch would be distance between the vertical axis of the lens and the shelving-frame, as that would set the limit on the enlarging ratio.

10. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see that Beseler does have a wall mount set for this enlarger. It is less expensive than the table. Has anyone done this and how did it work out?