Beseler dichro color head fan vibration

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by GKR1, Feb 23, 2013.

1. GKR1

GKR1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello, I noticed that there is vibration on the frame when the fan turns On. Is this normal? I do not print color, should I just get rid of this head and put on the condenser.

Anyone else notice their beseler color head minor oscillation?

Thanks

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the fan mounted on rubber bushings that have deteriorated?

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is some vibration. I wouldn't jump to any conclusion until I've made some prints or check with a grain focuser. A condenser head looks different. I don't like them personally.

4. GKR1

GKR1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The rubber bushings look good. However the foam gasket around t look like it could use some R/R.

I guess you I should make some prints. However, the vibration still is not good to have.

5. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An enlarger head should NOT vibrate.
    Several possible reasons:
    - fan bearing is dry (needs lube) or is worn/damaged
    - clump of dust/dirt/insect nest/etc on the fan blade putting it out of balance
    - vibration isolation is worn out (ie. deteriorated foam)

6. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could there have been an issue with fan vibration in these heads?

The Oxberry slide copy stand used a pin registered Nikon F2 and a Beseler Dicroic color head placed upside down on the bed.

The Dicroic head had the internal fan removed and a flexible plastic vent was attached to the head and routed to an external fan. The external fan
    really reduced vibration.

I have one of these heads, standard as in not modified by Oxberry, and I have considered moving the fan externally.

7. jcoldslabs

jcoldslabs Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  8. GKR1

GKR1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That cooling system looks great. I do at max 10 prints at most a time and maybe 5 test strips. I do not think it gets that hot with the short period of light being on. Do you guys think I still need the fan? Thanks

9. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would either fix the fan in the head or rig an external fan like what Jonathan linked to.
    Halogen bulbs get HOT FAST.

And thanks Johathan. I might have to use that method on my Omega, once I get it setup.

10. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear GKR1,

If you can see the head vibrate you need to repair or replace the fan. If you just sort of think it's vibrating, check with your grain focuser. If you can't see nice crisp grain you know you have an issue.

Replacement fans are cheap if you go to an electronics supply house like Digi-Key. Cheaper if you can find one at American Science and Surplus or the like.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cook top has instant heating using such bulbs.

12. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you try cleaning the fans? A good brush and some compressed air in the right spots usually can make fans run much better, and some oil.

That external fan is a neat idea, computer fans these days are quite nice and would work perfectly with that setup. there are special low noise and vibration models that also move lots of air.

Also I recently noticed that my enlarger power supply was causing a slight vibration on the table whenever I turned on the enlarger lamp. You could feel it when I hit the footswitch, the metal box of the power supply would pop a bit. So now I have everything off my enlarger table besides the enlarger, the power supply is on a separate box and the timer is wall mounted with foot switch.

13. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I replaced the old and worn fan in my 45S color head with this variable speed model, was easy to wire and even on high, I saw no ill effects from test strips done at 20x24 magnification when looking at them with a 15x loupe when dry or the neg in the grain focuser:

http://www.acinfinity.com/speed-control-fans/single-kits/ac-infinity-speed-control-fan-kit-92mm/

I did use some 3/4" high density grey foam as mounting block to help reduce vibrations further. I also used aluminum and black gaffer's tape to seal it off. Overall, a variable speed fan makes a lot of sense for this application, I feel it is perfect...

14. GKR1

GKR1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reporting back. Took the fan out cleaned it with air in the can, lubed the shaft in armature and used heavey duty dens foam and isolated again in its frame. Vibration is consdirbley less. Looking through a grain focuser I see no movement at all. However, I guess one still could feel the fan is running.

Thanks for all the help.

15. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear. I turned on my 45MX dichro head this weekend and I can feel the fan running. The fan Beseler uses are not like one ones in computer power supplies. Vibration was a concern for me, but I make pretty good prints on my enlarger so I'm not going to worry about it. The head is 30 years old and it still works great. Had to replace it optoisolator on it though.

16. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No movement in the grain focuser is GOOD :smile:

17. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Beseler CB7 came with a Dichro DG color head which has a separate blower that blows air thru a hose to the color head. It doesn't make the enlarger vibrate but it's a pain to locate the blower.

18. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a common POTENTIAL problem with Beseler 45S heads. Not all heads experience it, but some do. As you have seen, the test is in the grain focuser and actual prints. Then, if it is a problem, there are solutions.

But YES, you do have to have a fan!

Or, just use the condenser head if you already have one, and someone will give you some money for the 45S! :wink: