Beseler Duchro 45S mixing chambers

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by pjimas, Mar 23, 2008.

1. pjimas

pjimas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In the users manual, it states mixing chambers are available for 35mm, 6x7, and 4x5.

What mixing chamber do I use for 6x4.5?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6X7!

3. pjimas

pjimas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Beseler Dichro 45S mixing chamber

Thanks for your reply, now any idea where I can get one cheap?
    Jim:smile:

4. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the 4x5 for all formats, although I got a new 35mm off ebay for 15.00

Mike

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KHB Photographix - good Omega resource

Kevin Brown's shop seems to know anything that was ever made Omega wise for me locally, then there is Harry of Harry's Classic Enlargers, but I am not sure if harry supports the newest Omega stuff. The smaller format mixing chambers in my experience do make for faster printing on smalle than 4x5 negs, however, this is more aimed at production printing in my book.

6. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have always used the 4x5 mixing chambers on all my color enlargers for all smaller negatives with good results. Color paper is quite fast and exposure times have not been excessive, even for very large prints.

7. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The 4x5 mixing chamber will work fine with all formats. The purpose of the smaller mixing chambers is to make the light brighter I think. The light source is very bright and exposure times for smaller formats with the 4x5 chamber are reasonable.

Unless you print Ilfochrome at large magnifications and then get long exposure times that result in reciprocity issues and color shift I would stick with the 4x5 chamber.

8. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Jerold. I don't have the Beseler enlarger, but I do have an Omega D series enlarger with a similar type of light source. I started out with only the 4x5 mixing chamber and have never had the need to use a mixing chamber designed for smaller formats. Not too long ago I was given a 6x7 mixing chamber. Printing times decreased as expected, but not by that much. I didn't see that as much of an advantage. Printing times are already too short with my lens set to its optimum aperture. Fortunately, my enlarger has a built in attenuator that decreases the light by two stops, giving me enough time for dodging and burning.