Beseler Slide King Projector

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by AnselAdamsX, Mar 19, 2012.

1. AnselAdamsX

AnselAdamsX Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anybody familiar with the Beseler Slide King Projector?
    I'd like to know if it has good image quality.
    I'd like to project 6x7 and 6x9 color slides.
    I also noticed there are more than one lenses available. What length is most appropriate? I've seen 12" and 14" lenses.

Thanks
    Chris

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have one and have posted about it. Try searching on "Beseler Slide King" for some previous threads.

The quality is good, but it's designed for use in a large auditorium, and it can be hard to find lenses short enough to project a normal sized image in a smaller room. I think the shortest I've seen is 6.5". It wouldn't be hard to adapt other lenses.

Also, you may not find carriers that correspond to available contemporary mounts, so you will likely be cutting your own slide mounts or adapting a carrier to work with mounts you can get.

Also, advancing the frames is a strictly manual operation where you insert the slide in the carrier, shove it into place, take out the previous slide and insert a new one, slide the carrier over, change slides again, etc.

That said, once you sort out all the details, projected medium format slides from modern color films are stunning.

3. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The comments in post #2 agree with my experience.

The supplied lens is reasonable for the intended purpose. The main difference seen due to different focal length is different magnification for a given projection distance (lens to screen).

The focal length is chosen to accommodate the projection distance and magnification wanted.

At a projection distance of 6 meters (about 20 feet) the 12” lens gives 18.7X. With the 14” lens you’d get the same image size at just under 7 meters.

My Beseler MF slide projector uses a cast and machined aluminum lens mount. The barrel of the lens is gripped in the aluminum mount with a setscrew making it easy to change lenses. Mine is 10” focal length.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the problem one of finding lenses that are long enough to project a normal sized image in a smaller room?

Doesn't the projected image get smaller as the focal length increases?

5. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    you've answered you're own question---need a shorter length for shorter rooms....long length in short room is smaller magnification

6. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah, shorter (wider) lens projects a bigger image than a longer lens at the same screen distance. A 12" lens projects a fairly small image from a medium format slide at a distance of around 10 feet.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oops - I was thinking in terms of having projected images that were too large, not too small.

8. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It seems these were used in situations where you had a big screen, but also plenty of distance from the projector to the screen, so the most common lenses are around 10-14" for those settings, and they are just too long for a small room.

9. AnselAdamsX

AnselAdamsX Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I was looking at the Beseler I ran across a Navy 3 1/4" x 4" projector with a 6.5" lens. It had some holders too. I bought it on the spot since I want to project large in a small room. I'd like to see a 6' image in medium format.

10. 68degrees

68degrees Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ansel how did the navy projector lens work in your Slide King. I have a Slide King and am looking for a short lens. What can be adapted? Im looking for 7' x 7' with the slide 10 feet from the screen. Please advise. Also, cant get the set screw out.