Bessa II filters

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by RobertP, Sep 11, 2013.

1. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Does anyone know where I can find the 37mm slip-on filters for my Bessa II folder. I'm particularly looking for the orange but would be interested in any or all of them. Thanks, Robert

2. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it an A37mm you're looking for? With the lens's outside diameter measuring roughly 37mm? Or is it an S37mm that you want to adapt for slip-on filters?

Not sure if that question makes sense. Me no good with words.

For what it's worth, I have 37mm (S37) filters, which measure just over 39mm for slip on. A 35.5mm (S35.5) may have the right dimensions for you, and they are readily available.

Camera-filters.com is also a good resource. They have some obscure sizes.

Also, SK Grimes can manufacture whatever you need if you send them measurements. I haven't used them yet but they have an excellent reputation.

3. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Yes outside diameter of the lens is 37mm. Robert

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When I had a Bessa II, I found a couple of filters made by the Polish optical firm, Polskie Zakłady Optyczne (PZO) that fit properly and were of reasonable quality for the era in which they were produced. I don't know what camera they were intended for, but it may be worth looking for some East European cameras of the era with the same filter size that could come with a set of filters.

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
  5. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My point was that it's possible to find a screw mount filter with enough setback to turn it around and use it as a slip on. You just need calipers to measure the size. Bits of masking tape work well for minor adjustments.

6. leicarfcam

leicarfcam Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does this lens have filter threads? If so it probably takes screw-on 35.5mm filters which would be easier to find than a 37mm slip-on filter.

However an alternative would be series VI. You can get a slip-on adapter then use series VI filters which are as common as houseflies.. You should be able to find them on eBay..

7. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A difficult subject because '37mm' doesn't necessarily mean you want a 37mm filter. I have a couple of Agfa Record III with different lenses but both are 37mm outside diameter, and neither take an exact 37mm filter, there needs to be some wriggle room. So I use Kodak Series 6 filters using a 38mm/1.5" adapter ring, and this is snug secure fit with the tangs of the adapter bent very slightly. The advantage of the Series 6 filters is that there are a lot about on Ebay, and they are a good quality. I don't know if you can get a Kodak Series 6 37mm adapter, but you may find a 38mm is OK as I do.

Steve

8. Denverdad

Denverdad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you decide to go the Series filter route - i.e., attach a ~37mm series VI push-on adapter and then use interchangeable Series VI drop-in filters - eBay is your best bet. For example, I have purchased from seller macintoshcat who offers a variety of sizes inexpensively and currently has a Kodak branded 36.5mm push-on adapter available (scroll down in this listing until you come to Series 6 push-on). You should know that the tangs on these can be bent slightly in our out a small amount to accommodate a specific size, and I am pretty confident that the 36.5mm size would fit your lens just fine. One non-eBay vendor that typically has these in stock is songofsnow.com), but they tend to ask considerably higher prices.

9. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks guys. I was able to find a 36.5 series vi push-on adapter. I'll keep looking for an original but they seem to be rare. Robert

10. culturesponge

culturesponge Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bessa filters do show up occasionally in useable condition, but it took a few years to find original Voitländer Bessa II uv, orange & green filters for the wife's pampered & accessorized version II Heliar.

you could establish a daily search in both north america & Europe on the big aution website for Voitlander (or Voitländer) 37 mm filter + orange which is same in English & German - eventually you will be lucky.

50/60's B+W push on 37mm glass filters seem to be a similar quality to Voitländer but the mounts are not as good but they seem to be slightly more prevalent

best/good luck
    alex

11. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only ebay.de has sellers that can spell Voigtländer properly.

Also look for Agfa 37mm push-on filters; I've got a couple of those.

12. culturesponge

culturesponge Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

fek. there you go - corrected 4x - Voigtländer

was so fixated on getting a ¨ on my (new to me) tiny screen "smartphone" that i didn't bother to check anything else, banal waste of time writing blah in tiny windows anyway

it's no wonder Carl Zeiss eventually bought Voigtländer - that daft name can't have helped worldwide sales

over/out
    alex

13. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I really appreciate all the input. I just received the series VI adapter. I see on the auction site a lot or orange daylight filters. How do these compare to a B&W contrast orange filter. Thanks, Robert

14. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I have a couple of series vi Hoya filters that I'll never use. I think one may be an orange. I can look tonight and let you know. If it's what you need, you can have it for whatever postage costs.

15. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    That's very kind of you. Thank you, Robert

16. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any branded (Agfa, Voigtländer, B&W...) push-on filter marked 37mm from the 50s should be just fine. These push-on filters usually have tongues on the mount side that can be bent to make them fit snuggly. This is true for all the Agfa, Voigtländer, Zeiss (E-Germany) and B&W push on filters I own. Any of these in 37mm will fit a Bessa II (and a Record III) without problems. The only exception are the Kodak Retina filters which use a confusing system of denominating the filter size. But I am not aware of any Retina filters in 37mm anyhow. The Agfa and B&W filters are usually easiest to find in 37mm, the Voigtländer filters are the best (even available coated) but are bit more scarce.