Bessa III/Fuji GH667 - durability of black finish vs. silver finish?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Henry Carter, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Voigtlanber Bessa III and Fuji GH667 MF 6x7 rangefinder cameras, with either 80 or 55mm lenses, are made in the same Cosina factory in Japan and branded as Fuji (with a silver finish) or Voigtlander (with a black finish). Other than cosmetics, both versions at each focal length are identical.

As there is no distributor in Canada, I would have to order either from the US or from the UK, and hence both finishes would be availble to me.

I am very tempted by the wide version with a 55mm lens, and I am not sure which finish is preferable and which is more durable.

Silver is very classic looking, but black would be more unobtrusive for street shooting (but this is not my prime activity).

Does anyone have any opinions about the two choices of finish regarding quality or durability?

Thanks!

2. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Henry,

In the USA the Black Bessa III is $2250
    At B&H Photo the silver Fuji is $1664.

I can't think of a better reason to go silver.

It looks like Camera Quest has the III wide for $2999.
    I don't see it at B&H, but I am rushed to leave so I may have missed it.

John Powers

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    According to the UK distributor:

"The Voigtlander Black body is powder coat and the Fuji Silver body is silver paint".

Powder coat is a more durable finish than paint.

4. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have the Fuji GF670/ silver and it's an excellent camera..extremely quiet shutter. The 80 on 6x6 is plenty wide for me..Evan Clarke

5. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    They make it with a 55mm?

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not specific to the Bessa but IMO chrome has been more durable in the past. An anodized finish is pretty easy to scratch no matter what it's on.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree that chrome is more durable - unfortunately the current silver Fuji version of the Bessa III is apparently painted silver. The black version is apparently powder coated.

If the silver version of the Fuji were chrome, and hence finished like a Leica, I would choose it without hesitation. I think that powder coating is preferable to paint, and thus the black Voigtlander has the more durable finish.

I remember a several years back that Leica was planning to develop a 6x7 MF camera, but that this idea was shelved as uneconomical. Too bad - imagine a 6x7 Leica rangefinder!