Bessa T vs Bessa R

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by msbarnes, Oct 13, 2011.

1. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do these compare in terms of durability/feel? Some people find the Bessa's to feel cheap/plastically while others do not, but it seems that the R2/R3/R4 cameras have a better feel. So I'm wondering, is the T built better than the R?

I've handled none of these cameras, so I'm not sure what to expect. I have a Canon P and it feels real nice, but the focusing is a bit difficult, so I'd like to accompany it with a Bessa.

Also, how do the patches compare?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
  2. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Bessa R and compared to my Nikon S2 it feels really light and maneuverable. All of the Bessas are built well the only differences are the mounts they use and a few features. The L is LTM and has no RF, the R is also an LTM but has the RF, bothhave TTL as far as the other models, all inknow is that they have different mounts, either Cosina, LTM or M. Check out kenrockwell.com for more info.

3. Rom

Rom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a bessa R3a and i do not feel it plastically at all...

Seems to be strong and very confortable to carry.

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an R and an L and have handled a T briefly. As far as I can tell they're all built on the exact same chassis.

Everyone seems to agree that the build quality got better starting with the R2 family, but I've never had a problem with the feel of the old "plasticky" ones. I mean, I don't use them to drive in nails or anything, but they feel like perfectly reasonable cameras to me.

-NT

5. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have an L and a T: bought the T to use my summicron on so I don't scratch the!&@"*** out of my M3. I bought the L because it was $99. I feel a difference in quality : doesn't affect the pictures.

6. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Bessa T and the Epson R-D1 (digital rangefinder build on Bessa R). The different between the two are the light meter and viewfinder. The T only has a center spot view/rangefinder. And the light meter is only a red/green/red light system. The R style body has a full viewfinder and light meter displays the shutter speed in the viewfinder.

7. davela

davela Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The T is built a little better than the R. They are both well made cameras however. The R is more convenient to use since it has built in finders.

8. gb hill

gb hill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have both the R & a bessa L. Haven't held a T. I can say they are light compared to a Bessa R2m which I have held. I keep both camera's in their cases & I don't have any problem with them. MOF I enjoy carrying one of them about everwhere I travel. The finders are superb.

9. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The later R2 etc have a more substantial feel for sure, buy basically the same camera underneath. They are all a bit cheap and cheerful compared to a M Leica, but of course they are cheap and cheerful!
    The thing is that the R and the L and T all work really well, excellent metering and nice bright and contrasty viewfinder (in the R that is).
    At the price point, the cameras and most definitely, the lenses, all perform well above their weight. Great intro into RF photography, with the SM cameras being much cheaper to buy these days.

10. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Remember that some C/V Bessas are M-mount and others are LTM, make sure you get what you want for a mount.

11. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have had the R3A and still have my R4A. They are entirely adequate in terms of build quality for all normal photographic purposes. I would not recommend them as a substitute for a hockey puck though.
    You can get all the information you want on all models by first going to <http://www.cameraquest.com/canonp.htm> to review your existing camera and then hit the "home" button to get to Cameraquest's very comprehensive Voigtlander pages.