Best 35mm Camera ever made!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Marvin, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sure I will get a lot of different responses from this. I was at a local camera store and the owner and I were talking about the Nikon F5 and he said that he thought it was the best 35mm camera ever made. I would agree what would you think.:smile:

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon F, Nikon F2, Leicaflexes (pre "R" series). Leica M2/M3/M4, Nikon rangefinders, others.
    The all mechanical cameras without electronics can be repaired as long as someone is around to make parts. The electronics in other cameras will eventually crapout, and when replacement parts are no longer available it's bye-bye to that camera.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was he trying to sell you one ?

4. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mechanical 35mm SLR? Nikon F2. Rangefinder - Pick a Leica. Electronic SLR- Im biased as I LOVE my F5 (removable prism, various focus screens, etc. all of which I use), but the Minolta 9ti is amazing too. My only gripe with the F5 is the Focus sensor colors. Black was a bad choice.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best 35mm camera ever made is whichever one works for a particular individual, not a specific brand. For me, it's whatever one I have in hand when oppertunity arises, and I get the shot. I refuse to fall into the "my camera is better than yours" claptrap.

6. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1. The best camera for the shot is the one you have with you.

7. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No he had sold me one earlier.

8. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What exactly do you mean by "best"?

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are all good, it is the guy behind the camera makes the differecne.

Jeff

10. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    How true, how true.

11. AndrewR

AndrewR Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think there's any one "best camera". It depends a lot on what you use it for. The F5 is an excellent PJ camera but it would not be my first choice for hiking or street photography...

12. T-grain

T-grain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so true, we know that
    think of your camera as a suit-if it fits you fine, that's the right one for you (taking into account it has a decnt optics attached of course)
    as many of us, I have so (too) many cameras at home, even a couple of superb Rolleis, but they are too heavy and bulky for my "ordinary" shooting style
    I also have a set of EOS cameras and then, in the end, I almost always end up to take with me my so beloved Canon AE1, mostly with the trusty 50mm
    why? because it is a breeze to use-simple, elegant, reliable as hell, and producing wonderful slides
    even though this camera has almost 35 years and an electronic shutter, it still runs as brand new
    last time I checked the shutter, it was only 2% off at 1/1000. not bad, huh?

13. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    OK - I get given a Leica M6 and HCB gets a Brownie 127, we both go into town for 2 or 3 hours. Who comes back with the better pictures (not me).

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Best 35mm camera ever made? For me it would be either Leica M3, Rollei 35, or maybe Pentax MX, Nikon F, or something like that.

Rollei 35 is amazing value, completely manual and tiny. In terms of sheer engineering, I think I may have to go with that.

16. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The best 35mm camera means different things for different people.
    No 35mm camera is a "Jack of all trades, master of all". The Nikon F series tries to be that, but ultimately fails short on some accounts. As an example, if it is need a light weight, strong body camera for hiking, no Nikon F can be called light weight, although the last of the F series, the F6, tried very hard to be that.

Personally, different cameras and/or systems are better than others for some of the photography I do. At the moment, the Nikon EM, or the Nikon F75 if I need AF, is the best for what I am doing.

17. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amen.

18. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like so many others have alluded to, it's a question that doesn't really do anybody any favors.

1. We are all different and like different things. My hands are very large, while other people might have small hands.
    2. The camera, as long as it works consistently, is probably the very least important thing in the chain of events. Think about it, the camera does very little, actually.
    3. Most of the variables in our work flow are not introduced by the equipment - it is introduced by us humans. What's between your ears and what you do with it to control your tools is five million times more important than the camera.

My answer is that the camera that we can make 'disappear' from our work flow, where we know it intimately enough that we know what to expect when we use it, is the best one, because it is the least distracting one, allowing you to focus your attention on the important part - the picture!

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending, of course, on whether or not HCB can find some 127 film.

20. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon F.

21. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Exactly my thought Rick!

22. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think my old FE2 was pretty neat. Should never have sold it.

23. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Reminds me of a problem I have with a major consumer-oriented publication. I have bought refrigerators and vacuum-cleaners based on their exclamations that they are the best, while reality over time proves the magazine was WRONG.

While I admit, features-wise the F5 may be the "penultimate". The camera with lasting value will turn out to be a mechanical non-metered camera.

24. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    WRONG.

Word play here though...

YOU come back taking better pictures than you used to, after watching HCB for 2 or 3 hours (but during that time you didn't take a single frame because you were so in awe...) HCB couldn't get much better.

25. Lamar

Lamar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmmm. "Best" can be so subjective. Best at what? If you limit "best" to a more objective measure, technical capability, then the F6 would be the "best". It's smaller and lighter. It can be used with CLS. It can write shooting data between the frames. It will write shooting data out to a file. 11 focus points. Metering follows focus points. Yep. I would have to say it's the best. But I don't have one because it's expensive and I enjoy shooting with my old manual cameras. My F100 rarely sees the light of day but my old manual cameras get used just about daily. They are definitely not better but the shooting experience sure is a lot more rewarding, for me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  26. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If best is measured by how many shots you can get in a roll then these two half frame capable cameras could be considered best . . . :whistling:

[​IMG]