Best Book of AA Landscapes?

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by andrew.roos, Mar 11, 2012.

1. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi

I've recently returned to Analog photography and want to slowly build my book collection. I currently have one Ansel Adams, "Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs" which I have read many times. I love many of the photographs but find the print size in this volume too small to do justice to the images - the book is 9.1" x 10.6" but in portrait orientation, so landscape orientation images are reproduced about 7" x 5" in size (not a criticism since this is a teaching book not a portfolio).

My favourite images are his landscapes, including "Clearing Winter Storm", "Moonrise", "Mount McKinley and the Wonder Lake", "El Capitan, Winter Sunrise", "Tenaya Creek, Dogwood, Rain" etc. (excuse all the well-known titles, but these are what I curretly have access to). "Examples" also includes still-lifes and portraits, but I find these slightly less compelling. So I'm looking for a good portfolio of AA landscapes. Unfortunately none of the bookshops here stock any of his portfolios - the only one I have ever seen is "Ansel Adams in Color" but am primarily interested in B&W since that is what I shoot - so I will have to purchase blind over the Internet.

So after this long introduction: what portfolio would you recommend? I'm looking for one with good print quality at a reasonable price, say under US$ 50 new or used. Quality of images rather than quantity. It would be nice if it included some of my current favourites, but also a selection of other photographs for me to explore.

I am currently considering "Yosemite and the High Sierra" (1994) since I think this area was perhaps his first love; but don't know what the reproduction quality is like, and am also open to all other suggestions!

Thanks for your help,
    Andrew

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2012
  2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe "The Making of 40 Photographs".
    If I recall there is some limited technical info that you might find useful.

3. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    That's the book I was going to recommend when I saw the thread title..very good

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  5. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Bruce - that's the book I already have - the full title is "Examples: the making of 40 photographs". I enjoy the descriptions AA gives of the photographic process. However as I said, I find the size of the photographs too small, and the number of landscapes is also quite limited.

I've edited my original post to specify the full title, which I should have done in the first place!

7. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks David, I'll have a look at Yosemite and the Range of Light. Sorry for the incorrect placement - I hadn't seen the reviews forum and thought "networking" was a place for general chat.