Best chemical sources?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Paul Verizzo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Paul Verizzo

Paul Verizzo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Alas and alack, my photo chemical source for many years has closed its doors. Tri-Ess Sciences of Burbank, which I used to visit personally and then by mail, is gone. Old Ira Katz is deceased. http://www.tri-esssciences.com/ (Ira invented many of the chemical special effects used in Hollywood such as human fireballs and such.)

Anyway, what companies are your favorite suppliers? Certainly Photographer's Formulary. Who else?

My (new) ideal source would have:

1. Great prices, of course!
    2. A wide variety of chemicals, from sodium sulfite to TEA to chloro-hydroquinone. (Does anyone really have the latter?)
    3. Low or no minimum order.
    4. Reasonable shipping rates.
    5. And of course, great service!

Where do you buy your chemicals? Any caveats?

Thanks!

2. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. ilya1963

ilya1963 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have been with Artcraft for 5 years now , Michael is nice guy, he would weigh out any size order ...

his prices are reasonable and the shiping is less then Photographers' Formulary beeing on the east coast.

ILYA

4. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I believe Photographers' Formulary is the only source for Glycin.

5. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use ARTCRAFT for many of the developing reagents and for gallon jugs of 60% ammonium Thiosulfate.

I buy my Glycin and P-Aminophenol from Photographer's Formulary

I like The Chemistry Store for Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Thiosulfate, Sodium Carbonate etc.

http://www.chemistrystore.com/

6. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Formulary for its selection, glycin primarily, and Artcraft for prices and for being close to where I am.

7. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In this post, John mentioned that http://www.alfa.com sells chlorohydroquinone, though it seems to be on back order now.

8. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sodium sulfite will be available in your local chemical supply house or technical supply and it is a lot cheaper than buying as a photo chemical. Sodium Carbonate is available, at least to me, in the local art supply store as soda ash. (pure sodium carbonate) also much cheaper than from the photo chemical store. I have used the art store sodium carbonate for film and paper developers for many years. I buy the sodium sulfite from a chemical supply house here in 60 pound bags (a little over 25 kilos) at quite a substantial savings.

9. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sodium carb is also available as Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Borax is available as 20 Mule Team Borax; both found in grocery stores.

I know I'll start a war here re: purity of these two, BUT, they *CAN* be used for photo purposes. I'm not trying to say one grade is better than the other, just that they are available and can be used.

Anchell desribes CHQ as expensive and dangerous to manufacture. I wonder if it really is available? I only know of a couple of formulas that use it; old ones at that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2008
  10. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I guess the trick is knowing what comes from where - Artcraft, Formulary, Ebay (careful with this one,) Trader Joes, Leslie Pool Supply. A lot of different places for different things. If I could pick only one for stuff I can't get at the local shopping center it would likely be Artcraft - great people, service, selection and price.

11. Paul Verizzo

Paul Verizzo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, all!

I also remembered after I posted, www.digitaltruth.com . A decent selection at rock bottom or close to that pricing.

And yes, I've done my share of 20 Mule Team Borax and washing soda! Unfortunately, Sarasota is not Denver and I doubt if I can get sodium sulfite here. There are no more photo labs and the last "real" photo store and processor will be dropping E6 soon. The vast wasteland. I'm steering toward low sulfite developers anyway, so what I have might last awhile.

As to photo grade "good enough", yup, we don't need hyper-purity, IMNSHO. For instance I've seen where people use automotive Propylene Glycol for the Gainer formulations in place of its pure brethren without apparent ill effects.

Gracias for your thoughts!

12. Paul Verizzo

Paul Verizzo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Forget the pool store...

...at least the one I go to here in Sarasota.

Before I went I found some good chemical lists of pool goods on the internet.

Sodium sulfite was $14 for two pounds, no sodium thiosulphate, and Sodium Bisulfite was, in reality, bisulFATE. I didn't look into carbonate since I can get washing soda at the grocery store.

Oh well, I piced up a new leaf net, a mere $25........