Best cloth tape for film holders?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Thomas Wilson, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Thomas Wilson

Thomas Wilson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a couple of dozen 5x7 holders in need of re-taping. Any suggestions on a specific tape and adhesive combination to use or avoid?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bookbinders tape works well. Not the stuff used inside but for taping the covers.

3. Thomas Wilson

Thomas Wilson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's great. Thank you very much.

4. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a few 8x10 Holders in need of taping, Would it be a bad idea to use gaffers tape? Also are there any websites that have instructions on how to properly re-tape a filmholder?

5. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don't use gaffer's tape. Use quality cloth tape.

6. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Ben, I use gaffer's tape with excellent results on my old 8x10 film holders. Of course that is the tape I have on hand. Cloth book binder's tape is probably a step up because it is made for "hinges." Gaffer's tape is a bit stiff for the application but eventually it loosens up enough to "hinge" quite well---until then you may have to use a finger to hold the hinge open while inserting the film because to will sometimes want to close on you.

I haven't felt the neeed to add another photographic expense to my plate so I stick with gaffer's tape. I feel that the durability of gaffer's tape is equal to bookbinder's tape for this application although I have no proof to support it other than that I've got some holders I've re-taped 11 years ago and still function like down town.:smile:

Some time ago in View Camera there was an article on retaping film holders by...Gordon Hutchings? I forget. Anyway I find it easier to measure the length of the piece of tape you'll need and carefully use an xacto knife to trim to fit.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009
  7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I can't find it on calumet's site, they do/did sell replacement tape in small rolls when Fidelity was still in business. I'd call their headquarters.
    Gaff tape will eventually dry out (in my climate) and leave nasty, powdery residue that's hard to clean off.

8. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thomas and Ben,

Gaffer's tape is fine for Gaffers but not for film holders. University Products/Linco sells a book binding tape/spine repair tape that will work I have used it to do film holder re-taping.

first, remove all the old tape, and any left-over glue. mark the tabs, keep them in place.

second, clean the tabs and ends of the film holders, get all the old glue off.

third, put a sheet of film in the holder on both sides, and replace the tabs.

fourth, start the re-taping, you will have more tape than you need. Just wrap it from one side to the other then cut off the excess.

Remember to use an exacto knife and a good straight edge to clean up your cuts. Burnish down the tape and reload with film and use. Make sure to check the tap/flap to see if it fits correctly.

This is not rocket science, so good luck

ps. to get the glue off, use a solvent that will not eat the plastic or wood, Ever-clear works just fine for me.

Jan Pietrzak

9. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Jan is right. For the cost of a roll of book binder's tape you can do the job right. Why not do it right?

10. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes. Call Calumet's parts department in Chicago. Since Calumet owns the company that was Fidelity / Lisco / Rightway / ... they likely have hinge tape in stock still. In the correct widths no less.

An alternative might be Toyo in Japan. Since they are still making film holders (so I hear) they might be willing to sell you some hinge tape. If you send them an email it might take a few days for them to reply. But they are a Japanese company -- they will reply.

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    book repair tape is cheap and works very well
    http://www.gaylord.com/lobby_gaylordmart.asp?
    they also sell storage boxes ( archival ) for negatives and prints
    and adhesive-(glue)-remover
    not to mention book making supplies if you ever have the burning desire
    to make a hand bound book :smile:

i have bought from them for years, they are great !

have fun!

john

12. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Gaffers tape works but book binders tape is better. I have used both and the binders tape lasts longer without breaking.

13. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have also successfully used cloth mounting tape, the stuff you use to make hinges for mats, etc. The self-stick stuff works better than the type you have to wet. I repaired some 4x5 film holders four or five years ago and they're still good.

14. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used the black cloth tape used for wrapping hockey sticks, simply because it's readily available in any sporting goods store. Worked very well.

15. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    JW, spoken like a true Canadian.

Thomas, as long as you started the process you might take out the vac and do some cleaning after the re-taping. Try to get any dust and dirt out of the light trap you can. and also think about waxing the dark slides. I clean mine with a soft wax not much is needed 'wax on wax off'. When you are done you should have some good working holders.

Jan Pietrzak

Oh the wax is called 'Feed and Wax' by Howards' products look in the paint isle it is the best stuff I have found, also works on furniture, use it for years.

16. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That ought to last very well... very durable stuff.

17. davekarp

davekarp Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You can also rub the edges of the darkslide with a dryer sheet. That makes them nice and smooth.

A friend of mine uses spray Teflon. He sprays it on a rag and wipes the darkslide with it.

18. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gaffer's tape is a LF photographer's best friend.

19. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nashua brand gaffers is pretty solid on my 11x14" holders - (they use it to weld underwater)