"Best" color film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Jaime Marin, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Jaime Marin

Jaime Marin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I say best in quotation marks because I realize that sometimes the "Best" one is the one you know and use the most. Anyways I have been using Kodak Porta 400 for a bit and I like the look of it but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to anything that might be considered THEE standard color film? And yes I am very new to photography so be easy!

2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, we get these questions about every week. What you really need to be asking is what color film is "best" for your application. Portra is probably the standard for people work, Ektar maybe for more landscape negative color film, Velvia for landscape slide, and Provia for people slide. These are just guesses, but really we'd need to know what your intentions are before even offering an opinion on the "best".

Just my $.02

3. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jamie,

Once again another open ended question. What you will get is 100 posts and 100 opinions. What do you consider to be features for consideration. Format, speed. color balance, ...

4. Jaime Marin

Jaime Marin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well im shooting some friends that ride bmx and skate so I guess people would be my application.

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For "standard" I don' think you can beat Fuji Reala. It lives up to it's name; it is very accurate. It's color rendition reminds me of a color neg version of T64, for lack of a better comparison.

This being said, I think Kodak's Portra films are absolutely beautiful in the character they impart to images.

But if I had to reproduce a product, or anything else, exactly as it appears (which is how I would define "standard"), I would shoot Reala, hands down. It produces the most true to life images of any color neg film IMO. That does not mean "best," though. Just best for that particular purpose.

6. segedi

segedi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like 400 speed film for almost all of my shots these days. It's fast enough to capture whatever action you shoot, works well day and night. And I really like the new Portra. So I think you've already got the best :smile:

7. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Color neg - Portra for anything except where more saturated frankly exaggerated color is wanted, in which case try Ektar.

Color slide/transparency - E100G for full but not neutral or exaggerated color, E100VS or Velvia (just try 'em both, or all several including the Velvia variants, and see what you prefer. I prefer E100VS as being quite a bit less quirky and unpredictable but it's no longer available in 4x5 it seems except from folks who still have some.)

8. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ektar sounds better for that type of thing, unless you need the extra speed of Portra 400 or 800.

Reasoning; within the context of your subject, stronger colour would be preferred by most people as it would add value to the image, where as neutral colour may look the whole act look more mundane.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As an all round general purpose colour neg film I like Fuji Reala.

10. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are shooting some friends who ride BMX and skates then I guess you're not really after that much of a skin perfection but wacky colours to bring out the bikes/clothes/skateboards. If you can deal with ISO 50/100 you might as well shoot some Velvia or E100VS. Or Ektar. Fuji 400H is also quite contrasty and a bit more edgy than Portra 400. I don't paricularly like it (the Fuji) but others do.

In the end, best is what you've decided suits you after you tried them all. If there was THE best film there would be nothing else.

11. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For skateboarding, I'm guessing sometimes you'll want fast shutter speeds, and maybe in the evening, that will require a fast film, so for that, I'd go Portra 400, maybe Provia 400X if you want E6.

12. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think, considering the way this question is asked and phrased, AND the fact that Jaime doesn't have a particular look he is after, my guess is the "best" film for him would be any consumer grade color film available at regular stores. They tend to produce very neutral and "hard to go wrong" type of results. Pro films are designed to enhance certain characteristics and are best suited for the purpose intended. True, in skilled hand they can be made to do just about anything, I don't think OP is up for that task at this stage.

I would say, get an ISO 400 color print film like Ultramax 400, keep the shutter speed high, and see what you get.

13. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Personally I like the Portras, but E100VS might be just the right thing for you if that it is the look you are going for. I'd consider it if I were shooting bmx/skate/action type things.

14. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You'll need 1/1000 to freeze the action with skating, maybe 1/500 is fine with Bikes. Here in the UK, where the sun is always behind clouds, I could squeeze 1/1000 @ f/2.8 with 400 film. If I was doing it now I'd choose Superia 800. But in California you may be able to use 100 speed and easily get 1/1000.

Take care if the sun is high and your friends are wearing baseball caps - you may get a shadow over the face. Also take note of what stance the skaters are and position yourself accordingly, you want to avoid the butt-shot at all costs.

15. Jaime Marin

Jaime Marin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hmmm looks like im getting Ektar and Velvia and e100vs suggested alot. I guess I'll have to try all three seeing that I havent tried either.

16. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would go for Ektra!

Jeff

17. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm