Best Place to buy film?

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by StevenH72, Apr 21, 2010.

1. StevenH72

StevenH72 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys,

I'm new around here (so sorry if this is in the wrong place).

I'm looking for a bit of advice on where you guys get your films from (Internet or shop, I'm based in Reading but am quite often around London).

Thanks for any help.

Steve

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll add Mather's of Lancashire, 7dayshop, Mailshots and if it is Fuji film then Fujilab and Digitaltruth who sell the Legacy 100 and 400 which I am told is in fact Acros and Neopan 400 respectively.

No one site wins the accolade for being the "best" source on film but AGphotographic comes very close. It stocks a great range of film and sells lots of other analogue stuff.

Have a look around these sites and then decide

pentaxuser

4. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have to go to Reading once per month with my job and I always buy a roll or two of film from the little independent camera shop near the train station. It isn't cheap - but I like the novelty of buying film in a shop, they have a good range of Ilford and Fuji, possibly only 35mm.

For mail order, I find Mather's of Lancashire and ag photographic to be brilliant - fast, polite, well priced:

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/
    http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/html/film.html

If you you don't mind waiting a week or so for your package, 7DS are very competitively priced:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777

The Fuji pro lab are quick to post, but you should check their postage charges as they can mount up. Until recently, they beat 7DS on price for some 10 packs.

http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/

5. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always get my film mail order from mailshots, good friendly people, good prices and fast delivary, normaly next day,Richard

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle is my favorite, though I have never ordered from them internationally. Do the math, however. It may still be worth it to order from them if you are placing a large order. Supplies in the UK seem to be more expensive than in the U.S., based simply on what I have seen occasionally on the Internet. At any rate, they are a great company to deal with.

7. dusty110

dusty110 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For price 7dayshop is hard to beat if you need it in a hurry mailshots are the dogs

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll look up Freestyle. See what happens

Jeff

9. F80p

F80p Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. GFDarlington

GFDarlington Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got an email from 7dayshop listing HP5+ 120 @ £3.55, whereas our very own Matt at Ag-Photgraphic is listing the same film @ £2.59. The FP4+ seems to be the same, while the 135-36 is £4.20 against £3.29. Now would seem like a good time to stock up. :tongue:

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/ilford-black--white-film-9-c.asp

12. John Lawrence

John Lawrence Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Does the price from Ag-Photographic include post and packing?

I know that 7dayshop.com prices do include post and packing and that the more you buy the lower the price is.

John

13. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ag charge £3.50 for lightweight packs such as film. That would make them £25.90 + £3.50 for 10 rolls of 120, so £29.40 total compared to £31.50 at 7dayshop. For 135-36 the price would be £36.40 against £38, but it'll come quicker and you're supporting an analogue business! :tongue:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter,

7Dayshop's prices seem to have become progressively less competitive over the last few years. Although they're still selling 4x5" colour film at significant discount against UK pricing. e.g. Ag photographic - 23.95 GBP inc VAT for 4x5" 10sh Provia 100F. 7dayshop 14.90 GBP max 4x5" 10sh Provia 100F . Robert White sell for between Ag and 7dayshop but charge for shipping, so Robert White would be less expensive for a large order of film.

Tom

16. John Lawrence

John Lawrence Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks. I'll add Ag to my favourites and give them a go next time I order some film.

John

17. Wishy

Wishy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Went and picked up from AG the other day. Nice chap running it, and your supporting a true analog believer judging on the random film cameras around there.

18. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just don't buy from Jessops, the most expensive now for Ilford films.

Ian

19. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian,

It is odd how high Jesssops pricing is on ILFORD film. Their pricing on T-Max is more competitive.

Tom

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I went into Jessops before going to Cornwall, over £5 for a 120 B&W film and almost no choice, I said no thank you I can get it for at least £2 a roll less. They aren't cheap on Kodak 35mm colour films either.

At one time Jessops would price match, get anything in within 24 hours and I used to buy my 5x4 Tmax there, now I buy nothing. I met the then Chairman through work and he asked me at the time what I thought of their service, he'd been appointed to get them reday for going Public. They've been effectively Bankrupt since then and were sold to a new owner.

Ian

21. sales@firstcall-phot

sales@firstcall-phot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  22. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes but that Legacy Pro film isn't available in 120 or sheet film sizes.

Ian

23. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep,

I'm an Ag photographic fan, too.

I used to use Silverprint - also very good.

One reason I prefer Ag is that Matt has no minimum order, whereas Silverprint has £25 minimum for the UK (£100 overseas).

Ironically, though, when I do order from Ag it nearly always ends up over £25 anyway :rolleyes:

24. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Rodney

I've certainly bought from you in the past and was happy with the buying experience, but your £14.95 delivery to the Highlands is a dealbreaker for me, especially for film. I accept this is a fact of business life for you, but just wanted to reassure you it wasn't a service issue. :smile:

25. danieldevine

danieldevine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    silverprint is a bit of a ripoff london prices, their attitude is terrible, i am a university tutor and many students came back to me with the same thing
    i use ag photographic for mail order, the guys that work there actully use film and have got a camera their prices are cheap fantastic customer services

26. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For quite a while Silverprint has been one of the cheapest places in the UK for Ilford films, so for a first post that's a rather negative attitude.

Martin still has the 30% discount offer for 10 or more rolls of Ilford film, in the past year there have been 3 Ilford price rises and with Martin's turnover of film that may mean he's had to pass rises on while others have been selling stock they bought at pre increase prices. I've used Silverprint on & off since it started and the attitude of staff has always been helpful.

Ian