Best place to buy Hasselblad lenses?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jesterthejedi, Mar 11, 2012.

1. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey I am new to the world of Hasselblad. I got the standard 503 cx body and 80mm lens from Keh.com, I bought an older Bargain lens and it seems to be okay, so my question is, Beyond just ebay, is there other great places to find decent Hassie lenses for a good value? Ideally I would like to add 2 more lenses and also find a nicer 80mm at reasonable prices.

Thanks,
    Billy

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You already found KEH, that's where I get a lot of my equipment including two Hassy lenses. There's also David Odess, who is a superlative Hassy repair tech. His lenses are not cheap but you are guaranteed a 100% clean, adjusted and perfectly performing lens.

3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks I'll check that out. Does anyone else think ebay is way overpriced for lenses?

5. Araakii

Araakii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ebay has the best prices hands down. The only issue is that you don't know if there's any issue with the items.

6. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I researched for weeks and still think I got a better buy on Keh, paid 400 for a 80mm T*.

7. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go with KEH or David Odess. Both highly reputable.

I wouldn't buy a lens on the bay if the only alternative was to go without. I've bought a lot of other stuff there.

I have all the Hasselblad CF lenses from the 40mm FLE through the 350mm (except the 135mm bellows lens), and a 500mm C.
    Most of them came from KEH. None came from the bay.

- Leigh

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  8. Araakii

Araakii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't bought anything from KEH so I don't know how they rate their gears. What condition did they rate your lens at? $400 for a 80mm CF T* is a good price, but you see it on ebay from time to time as well.

9. aleksmiesak

aleksmiesak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also try "for sale" sections on different forums like Hasselblad forums, fredmiranda, and even this one. A lot of times you can get well cared for gear from people like yourself for a very reasonable price.

10. pgomena

pgomena Member

If you buy a used lens, assume that you will want it serviced. Add $200 to the price. If you buy a used lens that has recently been serviced, figure the cost of the service is included in the price. Otherwise, insist on a 30-day optical-mechanical guarantee on the lens so you can test it and find out if it needs to be serviced or repaired. Owning a Hasselblad is more like owning a Porsche than a Chevy. Get used to higher maintenance costs. A "bargain" may be just that.

Peter Gomena

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Samy's Camera on Fairfax in Los Angeles, if you can go there to see the equipment. Otherwise KEH.

Steve