Best Rollei lens for B&W landscapes

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rdtaylor_sea, Oct 21, 2010.

1. rdtaylor_sea

rdtaylor_sea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What's the best Rollei lens for B&W landscapes? I know that the planars and xenotars are legendary, but considering that most of what I'm planning to do will likely be stopped down to f8 or f11, is it worth the money over the tessars and xenars?

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Condition is more the concern than the lens. Tessars and Xenars are great lenses especially stopped to 8 or 11. Newer cameras are more likely in better condition. But if you find an old Automat with a Tessar or Xenar in good condition it will be just as good as a newer camera.

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMHO, the best bang for the buck out there is the Xenotar 3.5. They are expensive, but are half the price of the Planars, and just as good IMO, especially at f stops like f/8 and f/11. 3.5Fs with the Xenotar can be had frequently for under $500, and that is for a very clean one. If you can swing that much, I might suggest splurging. However, if yo are on more of a budget, any one that has been properly cared for, on a camera that has been serviced for proper focus, and that wears a proper lens hood should work just fine for what you want.

4. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As said above, condition is everything. At f8 or f11 things start to even out - it's at wide or near wide open that you can see the character of the different lenses. I'd go for a Xenar or Tessar in good condition, rather than the more expensive options.

5. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like my Planar f/2.8

6. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I LOVE my 3.5 Tessar ! The bokeh is very nice, and sharpness when closed down is amazing ! I'd like it to be faster sometimes, but Delta 3200 works fine with it.